General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt adjuster nut seized on 1990 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Default Timing belt adjuster nut seized on 1990 Accord

Hi,
I recently acquired a 1990 Honda Accord automatic with 140k miles. I've been performing some maintenance on the vehicle - the CV joint boots were torn so I replaced the half shafts, and I've adjusted the valves. I am now attempting a timing/balancer belt change and I have a new water pump to install.

I've gotten the covers off and the crank pulley removed (what a chore) but I am stuck on the timing belt adjuster nut. It is an acorn style nut and even with a flare nut wrench, I rounded it off. I have heated the nut and used vise grips pliers but to no avail.

This morning I will be attempting to use a twist-grip removal tool. Are there any other suggestions for getting this nut loose? Since the nut has a cap, I'm not sure if a nut splitter would work. Also, I don't know how much work it would be to replace the stud should I go too far with the splitter.

I've ordered a Helm service manual, but it hasn't yet arrived. From the pictures I've seen on this forum, it appears that the the stud the adjuster nut is on is threaded into the engine block - so I don't want to damage the stud if possible. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

You're talking about #26 on the outside of the lower timing cover? How did you get the lower cover off without removing that nut?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Default cover removal

Jim,
Yes, #26. There is a rubber washer/gasket that goes around the nut that seals the cover. Once that is removed, the cover comes right off .

My attempt with the socket grabber failed. It just rounds off the nut more.

Dave

Old 07-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Default thanks for the diagram

Jim,
Looking at the diagram you supplied, it looks like the "stud" that #26 threads onto has a hex head at the engine block end. I suppose that if I bugger up the stud too bad, I can likely replace it (provided it isn't seized also). I guess worst case is take a hacksaw to it and cut through the nut/stud.

Dave

Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

I guess that would be #22? Yeah, hopefully you can butcher it taking it off & still replace that stud. Never done that myself, so I'm not absolutely sure.

www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
put in your car's information
I'm not sure what category to look for that stud???

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-09-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

As you have rounded off the nut I would try a small pipe wrench.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I guess that would be #22? Yeah, hopefully you can butcher it taking it off & still replace that stud. Never done that myself, so I'm not absolutely sure.

www dot hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
put in your car's information
I'm not sure what category to look for that stud???
Yep - #22 looks like the stud.

The website you gave me has the parts under the category "CAMSHAFT/TIMING BELT". Thanks for that info

I'm going to try cutting off the cap portion of the nut, then use a nut splitter. Also, by cutting off the cap, I'll expose the threads so I can hit it with some PB Blaster and give it another go with the vise grips.

Dave

Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, what I meant was I wasn't sure what category to find any detail of where that threads into. Maybe into the oilpump rather than the block.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Talking Success

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Yeah, what I meant was I wasn't sure what category to find any detail of where that threads into. Maybe into the oilpump rather than the block.
Hmmm, not sure what it threads into. I managed to get the nut off. Between cutting off the cap, spraying with PB Blaster and tapping the nut with a hammer and chisel, the vise grips were able to bite and loosen the nut. The stud is still pristine! The nut is mangled beyond recognition.

Well, I'm off to the races - as soon as I replace the tension adjuster nut. I also need a 6 x 100mm bolt for locating the rear balancer.

I bought my timing and balancer belts at autozone (Duralast). I've been browsing around here and I saw that OEM belts were recommended. Should I return the belts I have and get the OEM belts from a dealer? If so, why (because I'm curious that way). I also bought my water pump and valve cover gasket set from Autozone...

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think buying OEM vs aftermarket is based on past experience and you have to go with what makes you happy. It’s an issue that could be debated.

Quick Reply: Timing belt adjuster nut seized on 1990 Accord