General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt advice for Accord 2000

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Default Timing belt advice for Accord 2000

Hello Everyone

I have accord 2000 SE 4 cyl with 87K on it. I have been shopping around for changing the whole timing belt kit including water pump.

Dealer quoted me 749$, i have couple for 100 off, so its about 649$.

I looked thru yelp and found two shops, one specialize in Acura/Honda and they are asking for same 649$. Other is general shop and his quote was $550. Both have great reviews. Both non-dealer are giving a loaner and both has great reviews on yelp (honda acura connect and almedan auto)

I'm in San Jose, CA

Dealer is also recommending value adjustment which will cost $211.

My question is how I need value adjustment ? Its kind of steep.

Should I go with dealer or after market shop ?

Its value adjustment is not required or can be done with 90k service I'm thinking of going with dealer just for timing belt kit.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Go to an auto parts store that is always busy and talk to one of the seasoned parts counter people.
They will know the mechanics that come in there who buy the most engine parts for the Hondas and they can usually hook you up with a great mechanic.
I did my car this way..bought the belt and gave the honda mechanic $175.00 and walla..done deal..good job...clean car. Happy mechanic who will now get more work and business from me...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

You don't have to get the valves adjusted. If they aren't making noise, then you can leave them alone. That price seems high for a valve adjustment.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Keep shopping around, you should be able to get the job done for less than that since it's only a 4 cylinder SOHC engine, which is pretty simple to do.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 AM

Thanks for response everyone.

I have contacted 4 shop, dealer, 2 from yelp and one guy I use for services.
I have limited knowledge of cars expect when to do service

That the range I"m getting is same here 550$-650$.

Not sure if value are making noise, how to check ?

I have my car mechanic whom I have used for service but not for major work. He also quoted the same expect he quoted 90$ for 90K service along with timing belt (550$). Other shops range for 90K service was $250-350.

Apart from time it take to change, it seems its a straight forward job and maybe I can trust my own mechanic for timing belt+90k.

One more thing, how do I ensure the kit used is good one if I go to outside shop (not dealer).

Old 10-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by james20
One more thing, how do I ensure the kit used is good one if I go to outside shop (not dealer).
If you don't go with oem, get a brand that can be trusted....don't with a no name brand when it comes to this.
We all have opinions on this, I'm not trying to start a debate just giving my personal opinion here. I trust the Gates company and their products. So I'd look for a kit from them. Their "TCK" kits come with the belts and tensioners. Their "TCK_WP" kits come with the water pump.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I bought a Delco kit that was less than $60 2 belts and 2 pulleys it is Gates parts and reboxed for Delco. even had a gates sticker in the box .

Old 10-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Almost A Senior Member

This was the lowest dealer quote out of the 4 dealers in my area. Just to give you an idea of what you will really be paying out the door.
After 8.75% sales tax I paid 976$
652.65 labor 247.30 parts and 76.91 (tax)
Includes Valve adjustment, and re-hanging the exhaust, NY State inspection and a couple of other small items.
Page 2 is where they added the "Free" car wash.
I dropped it off at 745am and it was done at 1145.
the valve adjustment quieted it down a lot, and after the service it ran a lot better, even better gas mileage, I am currently at 29mpg if I don't drive over 65.
Just so I don't get BS from you guys for spending so much. It was worth it to me to spend $200 more to know that it was done right. I am not unhappy with leaving that much at the dealer. I would rather spend the extra $200 to have the mech that has done the service 100 times before.

Last edited by MysticBlueEX; 10-08-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info.

I visit this site so I can help people who want to fix stuff themselves, but there's a lot of people who want information anyway so they can talk to the mechanic. Your car, your money, your choice.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when comparing prices , always ask what do they do for the money and if they use oem parts,,,,,,
the timing belt quotes you got ,, besides t-belt , water pump, coolant, ask if they include tensioners, balancer belt, cam, crank, balancer shaft seals,balancer shaft seal retainer, valve cover gasket, alt and p/s belts, ,,,

Do not pay extra to adjust valves unless they are noisy ,, and the quote you got from the dealer for $ 211 is a TOTAL rip off ,, valve cover if off anyway to replace timing belt ,, it should not take them more than an extra 15-20 minutes to adjust valves

Last edited by deserthonda; 10-11-2011 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Timing belt advice for Accord 2000