General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Timing belt question

I have a 1995 Honda accord 2.2 vtec and I was wondering if there is a way to tell if my timing belt was changed. It has 153k on it but I just got the car. I notices some bolts missing from my timing belt cover. Does that mean it has be changed at some point in its life or do they just fall out? And can I tell by taking the cover off if its been changed. Any words on it or numbers for original belts or Maby something on new ones? Any Help would be appriated I don't have the money to change it right now and I'm worried

Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by jroxz44
I have a 1995 Honda accord 2.2 vtec and I was wondering if there is a way to tell if my timing belt was changed. ...
I just got the car. I notices some bolts missing from my timing belt cover. ...
Any Help would be appriated I don't have the money to change it right now and I'm worried
No way to tell that I know of; your car's missing bolts are the best indicator of it being changed (in my book).

In this case, you're good to go...

Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't heard of those bolts falling out by themselves, so maybe that's a good indicator. But it doesn't say the job was done by someone who was careful about putting it back together.

If you're lucky, it was replaced with a non-dealer belt. If it says Gates or Goodyear then it's been replaced. But you don't konw for sure when it was done.

If the belt says Honda, then you don't really know. They will typically look fairly good at 100k miles. OTOH, the printing on the outside of a new belt begins rubbing off pretty quickly.

According to the shop manual, you're supposed to look for hairline cracks at the base of each tooth on the belt. But if it's not cracked, I wouldn't trust it for another 80k just on that basis.

Supposed to change the belt every 100k or 7 years. Your car is 17 years old, so it's overdue for the 2nd belt just on calendar time.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Okay Ill take the top cover off and see what it says. If it says Honda I should be able to call the Honda dealership and they might have records of when it was done. All Honda dealerships should be connected as far as records. Cause the car came from Chicago and I live in Pennsylvania. Idk thou

Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Almost A Senior Member

All Honda dealerships should be connected as far as records.
Not around here, even if the dealers are only 10 miles apart. sorry.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UhOh
No way to tell that I know of; your car's missing bolts are the best indicator of it being changed (in my book).

In this case, you're good to go...
bolts fall out all the time...the world is an imperfect place...

Old 11-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

I have a 1995 Honda accord 2.2 vtec and I was wondering if there is a way to tell if my timing belt was changed. It has 153k on it but I just got the car. I notices some bolts missing from my timing belt cover. Does that mean it has be changed at some point in its life or do they just fall out? And can I tell by taking the cover off if its been changed. Any words on it or numbers for original belts or Maby something on new ones? Any Help would be appriated I don't have the money to change it right now and I'm worried
it's gonna be alot easier to find the money to change the belt now, because finding the money for a new cylinder head and/or engine is gonna be real tough...

Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
it's gonna be alot easier to find the money to change the belt now, because finding the money for a new cylinder head and/or engine is gonna be real tough...
x2
Since many recommend a reduced interval (80k), I'd go ahead and fit that in your schedule.
Buy a quality kit

Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Any recommendations on brands? Or if someone has a link to get the kit online that would be good. Its a 95 ex 2.2 vtec sedan automatic . I don't know exactly what all I need and what's a good kits so any help is appriated. I found a mechanic to do it but he said for me to get the parts and he'll do it for pretty cheap

Old 11-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Gates is a good brand. Or just get OEM Honda parts. Check out rockauto.com They have a good selection and the best pricing.

Replace the waterpump while you are at it.

Quick Reply: Timing belt question