General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Default Timing issue?

Finally have engine replaced in '96 Accord (VTEC), have most of the connectors hooked up except for oxygen sensor on exhaust pipe. It won't start. It only fires when spaying starting fluid, or carb cleaner into theintake manifold. Loosened fuel line going to rail, there is gas there. Timing belt timing seems to be OK, put new belts on before install. In my opinion it seems to be a timing issue, but I cannot figure out how to change the timing via the distributor. Anything I am missing? Used old distributor and wires from old engine,put in new plugs.

Thank You

Old 04-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Timing issue?

are we talking about a drop of gas or 30psi?

to change the timing you loosen the distributor and rotate it.

if it starts with starting fluid. then you probably have a gas problem.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:44 AM

About the fuel, I was on the switch and my partner in crime was watching the loosened line, so I am not sure how much pressure we are talking. I wouldn't say it runs on starting fluid, it fires. We have an F150 with fuel delivery problems and we can keep that thing running with spraying carb cleaner into the intake. The Accord fires and won't continue running after I disengage the starer.
Thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 AM

Timing belt was off by one cog. Fixed that, no change at all. Fires, but will not run. Firing order is correct, plenty of fuel spraying out of banjo bolt when loosened. Loosened bolts on distributor, that thing doesn't adjust. Where do I adjust the distributor timing? This thing is driving me nuts!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:30 PM

chk the ground wire at t-stat housing , it is not a timing issue if it were it still would not work when you sprayed carb cleaner in the intakes,, Injectors not coming on ??

Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Since you were off on the timing belt by one cog, I would do a compression test to see if you bent any valves.

The distributor should be able to rotate a bit when the bolts are loosened. That is how you tune the timing. Go to http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/ and you can download a shop manual for a 5th gen (94) accord. The setup should be close to your 96 although a couple of sensors were moved starting in the 96 accord.

You should turn the key to the II position and verify that you have 12V to the yel/blk wire going to the distributor. If not, then suspect electrical portion of the ignition switch.

You can also hook a test light up to the connecions going to the fuel injectors and try to start the car. The test light should flash on each one indicating the ECU is opening each injector.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM

if it starts ok ( according to him ) when spraying carb cleaner in the intake,, IT is NOT a timing issue, nor bent valves, nor an ign switch issue ,

get a noid lite and make sure that the injectors are working properly ..

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

get a noid lite and make sure that the injectors are working properly ..
That's where i would be looking too. Wondering if he had the injector resistors unpluged?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 PM

"chk the ground wire at t-stat housing" ; "get a noid lite and make sure that the injectors are working properly" Sorry, but these mean what in "English"? I do have one connector that I cannot find to connect to what I thought was just a temp sensor. It is between the starter and intake manifold. Also, the distributor does not move at all with the three bolts loosened, it just wiggles a little. Thanks

Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

There's probably a bundle of ground wires at the thermostat housing (maybe not all years??) An open connection can cause all kinds of problems like interrupting power to the injectors.

A 'noid light' is a small lamp that plugs in between the injector & it's wiring plug. It's basically a test light that blinks toshow the injector is actually getting power.

If you're troubleshootingthat wiring, be aware that the injectors have one wire hot all the time. The ECU switches the ground side of the circuit to fire the injector.

Quick Reply: Timing issue?