General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tires & Seafoam - 09 Accord

Old 05-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Default Tires & Seafoam - 09 Accord

I just bought new tires (Firestone Wide Oval) and they are the noisiest tires I've ever had in my life. They hum and whirr and make all sorts of noises. Is there anything you can do about this? I've already had to replace two of them because the sidewall started splitting. I'm considering just buying new tires because I can't put up with the noisiness for another 50,000 miles. It's really loud.

And finally, is there a proper way to Seafoam a car to clean the fuel injection systems/engine? I know you can dump a bottle in your gas tank but I've been reading around that you can do a much more thorough job if you know what you're doing.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Your fuel injectors don't need cleaning, and Seafoam added to your fuel won't make the injectors any cleaner than the detergents already in the fuel keep said injectors clean. Save your money and just say "No" when it comes to Seafoam.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM

I already bought the Seafoam so it's a little too late to say no. I've also read nothing but good things about Seafoam's effects on cars.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ovukelj
I already bought the Seafoam so it's a little too late to say no. I've also read nothing but good things about Seafoam's effects on cars.
Odds are the "good reports" are all anecdotal, and effectively worthless. I've never seen one scientifically based report which showed it was anything more than high priced snake oil.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Odds are the "good reports" are all anecdotal, and effectively worthless. I've never seen one scientifically based report which showed it was anything more than high priced snake oil.
Where's your scientifically based report then?

Old 05-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

If you're a member of the SAE you can look them up online at SAE International.

The fact is, modern gasoline keeps fuel injectors perfectly clean for the life of the vehicle; extra additives are worthless.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 PM

If you're a member of the SAE you can look them up online at SAE International.

The fact is, modern gasoline keeps fuel injectors perfectly clean for the life of the vehicle; extra additives are worthless.
I tried looking it up and found nothing. All I'm trying to say is that if you're going to say anecdotal evidence isn't grounds for a product being useful or not (which is true in most cases), at least practice what you preach and provide a source to back up your claim.

The fact is that a MAJORITY of people who used Seafoam noticed some improvement on their car. I read a review of a guy dumping two cans in his Mercedes and it running a lot smoother and responding quicker. Whether it's a placebo or not, at $10 a can, I don't mind finding out. I've read nothing but good things about it and if you're going to call hundreds of positive reviews worthless anecdotal evidence, it just seems a bit petty. Here's my source, anyways. At 250+ reviews and it being a best-seller, I'd be impressed if it was just snake oil:
Amazon.com: Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Sea Foam Motor Tune - Up: Sports & Outdoors

Anyways, I was going to put most of it in a half-full gas tank and a few ounces in the oil, run the car for half an hour or so and then change the oil (it's about time for an oil change anyways). Does anyone have any actual experience with Seafoam at all?

Last edited by ovukelj; 05-26-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

I guess you can lead a horse to water...

Old 05-26-2014, 09:36 PM

I guess you can lead a horse to water...
I just wanted an answer to my questions, as most of us do in life.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 PM

We don't have to prove seafoam doesn't work. Seafoam has to prove it does. Look up "top tier gas", which is all you need.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 05-26-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires & Seafoam - 09 Accord