General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn CV boot, what to do, what's it doing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Default Torn CV boot, what to do, what's it doing...

Hi guys
99 4cyl accord lx

I noticed a pretty good rip on the driver side CV boot when i was doing the oil yesterday. I'm assuming that's the reason why i've had some rattling when idling and also turning so obviously that needs to be changed. i've never done it on an accord before but me and my brother did it on his jeep last year, had to change the whole axel.

Is that the case with the accords as well? saw some pretty great tutorials on how to do this hear and on on youtube so either way i could probably do it, but i'd rather not spend the money on a new axel if i could just change the boots.

Also - i have the p0440 error code that usually means your gas cap is lose. it isn't. i also replaced it not that long ago. I don't suppose that could be related to the joints? or causing its own rattling?

i was under there looking for loose bolts near the converter and the exhaust but didn't find any.

i assume i'm looking at 2 unrelated problems but just in case i thought i'd ask
any help would be most appreciated!
thanks all!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

if you have clicking when turning one direction or the other, than your axle is perished...needs replacement. if not noise while turning, you could replace just the boot, they make kits for it, but depending how long the joint has gone without proper lubrication you may be changing an axle sooner than later....

Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Its not hard at all replaced them on a dodge stratus-almost-kind-of-not-really-alike but you have to take the strut off and brake assembly then there should be some bolts that you see wherer the boot goes into the trans take those bolts out and the rest is arm muscle and a flat head when you put the new one in or replace the outside boot covering use the right grease and pack it in nice so you will get the best performance and it will last longer. should take you maybe 2 hrs or more if your new at it take your time dont want to loose a bolt and i would also replace the bushings on the arms

Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
if you have clicking when turning one direction or the other, than your axle is perished...needs replacement. if not noise while turning, you could replace just the boot, they make kits for it, but depending how long the joint has gone without proper lubrication you may be changing an axle sooner than later....
sorry when i say replace it i mean replace the cv joint - not just the boot. replacing just the boot makes me nervous because you are trapping any dirt that did get in there... unless of course you just tore it while working on it don't you think it's better to replace the entire cv joint assembly?

my question is does that include the axel or can you do just the cv joint?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM

just get a new half shaft. save yourself the hastle of messing with the boots. i have never had good luck with repair boots and if its clicking anyway... i can say that i had to use an inpact wrench to get my spindle nuts off. they were on crazy tight!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

CV axles come as an assembly w/ both CV jts.

There has been a general observation that axle quality is poor from most chain store auto parts. Not all are bad, but some have failed out of box. Do your own homework on quality and decide.

I paid about twice chain store cost for my Raxles cv axles after going through 2 each side, AZ axles to remedy a vibration problem.

good luck

Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by earwig
just get a new half shaft. save yourself the hastle of messing with the boots. i have never had good luck with repair boots and if its clicking anyway... i can say that i had to use an inpact wrench to get my spindle nuts off. they were on crazy tight!
yeah - i just called autozone - it's like $50...might as well just replace the whole thing.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
CV axles come as an assembly w/ both CV jts.

There has been a general observation that axle quality is poor from most chain store auto parts. Not all are bad, but some have failed out of box. Do your own homework on quality and decide.

I paid about twice chain store cost for my Raxles cv axles after going through 2 each side, AZ axles to remedy a vibration problem.

good luck
interesting. time to do some googling
thanks bud!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 PM

i was at a honda dealership for an unrelated issue on another car and asked the guys in parts and the OEM cv axle is more like $230 each

wow

Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I think I paid about $130 for my raxles. I was so relieved to finally fix the problem after struggling for over a year w/ axle replacements, motor mount replacements, etc,...all for nothing.

good luck

Quick Reply: Torn CV boot, what to do, what's it doing...