General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch up paint...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Touch up paint...

So anyone here ever applied Honda brand touch up paint? I bought a little bottle with pen and brush of Honda brand touch up paint that matches me color. There are some spots on the body where the paint chipped off revealing primer underneath.

I think after you paint it, you're supposed to sand it and buff it. I know it's going to look ugly but can I just paint it and leave it alone and sand it another time? I don't really have time to go through sanding it and buffing it right now but I want to know if at least putting something on there is better than leaving it exposed.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Talking

Sand it a little bit before you paint it also so that it doesn't glob up on you..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

What are you painting?

For little stone-chips, I clean em real good with solvent to remove wax & crud. Then if it's small I use a toothpick instead of the brush. Sometimes I just leave it at that.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Hey!

What kind of solvent do you use? I only have rubbing alcohol. I was thinking of washing that spot with some car soap and hosing it off, letting it dry, then painting it. Or even using a light bit of ScratchX microabrasives to smooth the surface down microscopically.

I'm painting tiny areas (about 1/4th size of U.S. dime cent) where stones chipped off the paint on the front body panel, the one that's right above the front wheel. Then on the doors there is what looks like a 1/4 inch chip off of the paint kind of like a stone chipped the paint off. Then there's a 1 inch long scratch and about the same depth. Both probably a mm deep. The bottom is light gray and rough so I assume that's primer and not metal.

I think the toothpick application is a neat idea but how does that work? I assume it creates a bead of paint on the tip and you just drop the bead and let the paint spread on its own? I don't know if that will work on the doors since they're vertical. I was thinking of just using the brush that comes in the can and just making sure I get all of the excess paint off of the brush before I dab it on. Am I supposed to give it a really thin coat and then follow up with another coat after it dries? How long does it take to dry? Should I cover it to prevent dust from getting on it?

Last edited by MessAround; 10-13-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Solvent - several things work OK, like paint thinner or acetone.

Use the brush. The toothpick is for a chip that's actually smaller than the brush.

Thin coat so it doesn't drip, but that's about all. Protect from dust if you can.