General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default TPS question

ok, other then the idle being off what is the major problems that occur when either the input is high, or input is low? Reason I ask is because I'm trying to find the reason my tranny isnt shifting properly after changing the throttle body. If the tps being off is the problem then thats easy to fix, if its not the problem....... well...... there is a major problem that isnt throwing a code..... and ill probably do an auto to manual swap. Dont want to waste the time to make a test harness to get the voltage right if it isnt directly related to the problem.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:48 AM
Administrator
Default RE: TPS question

Well let's start with this info for you...about the TPS-it measures the throttle movement and it's signal is used by your vehicles engine control (ECU) to adjust the ignition timing, fuel mixture, and torque converter lock-up.
A bad TPS can result in problems such as hesitation, stalling, eratic idle, pinging, and no torque converter lock-up, also hard starting, and a intermentent check-engine light (which you say your no getting codes).
This doesnt sound like the real problem but for a few bucks you can change the TPS and see if the problem rights itself...

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-14-2006, 04:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: TPS question

It is throwing a code for the TPS 7 short blinks. I was just saying if there is a major problem that isnt throwing a code I was going to have a big problem then. ^_^ As for it being a bad TPS I dont think thats the case, but can the TPS being over or under cause the transmission to shift prematurely? or some cases not until it hits a specific rpm. About the only problem is the fuel mixture seems to be running very rich.

The thing I am finding odd is the transmission not shifting properly only existed after changing the throttle body. The park shift lock also stopped working after changing just that. But I view that as an added secruity feature. ^_^ After all nothing wrong with someone not being able to steal my car cause they cant get it out of park.

I need to replace the TPS anyways, seeing as my friend cracked one of the sides when he felt the need to drill it out, but I am unsure of what model to buy seeing as honda only sells the TPS attached to the throttle body for 98 accords and im sure many other hondas.