General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny "flush?"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM
g1k
Unregistered
Default Tranny "flush?"

Hey guys *and girls*

Right now I am at the localHondadealer (on my laptop) I came to have the tranny oil changed in my 2000 Accord EX v6. Now I have read a LOT of posts saying do not flush your tranny, that it does more harm than good. However I am a little confused right now. Honda justsaid they they will plug the tranny into a machine that will do a 9 quart exchange. I imediately said "No! I do not want a flush." but the honda rep said, oh no dont worry its not a flush, but an exchange. That this is different than a flush and it isthe wayHonda suggests the tranny have the oil changed, no worries.

So I believed him and as we speak I am watching my car have this done... Does anyone have any knowledge of this process or machine that is not a flush? Was I just taken? or is this really not a flush?

Thanks for any info!

-Kevin

Old 11-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Default RE: Tranny "flush?"

I'll let someone else weigh in on this one but to the best of my knowledge that is a flushing machine, it forces tranny fluid in and flushes out the old stuff, vs. a drain and re-fill.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Well in the english language, they are one in the same.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:46 PM

Transmission flush and vs. draining a tranny and re-filling it are not the same thing

Old 11-06-2007, 09:35 PM

i asked my mechanic, and here's what he said in general:

Flush - usually entails some kind of slushing or agitating movement that is sometimes done using solvents to clean any residue that might have built up inside the trans which is kind of a cleaning process also besides just draining. this process could be damaging to the trans because it could change the clearances that the parts have adjusted and seated into when some gunk residue is dislodged or cleaned off by the flushing process. NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

Draining the trans - leaves a lot of old fluid inside especially if the torque converter is not drained or is not equipped with a drain plug. WILL DO THE JOB SAFELY but only ADEQUATELY.

Fluid Exchange with Machine - will replace the old tired fluid almost entirely, but rather than slushing stuff around that could create of all things, air bubbles and other derogatory effects, it will merely move to DISPLACE the old fluid gently and will continue to do so until nice, clean-looking fluid that has no browning effect from friction is visibly exiting at the other end. At that point, the operator/tech/mechanic will stop the machine, check the fluid levels, and cap the drain plug. and with the proper machine and operator, is the MOST THOROUGH transmission fluid service in his humble opinion.

I should add that this mechanic is NOT a Honda tech but works at a transmission shop that works on all sorts of cars. So as far as it applies to our beloved Accords, I'll let the Honda experts decide. Ciao

Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 AM

If they do it while the car is on the lift, running and the wheels are turning, then I'd agree that you can get the fluid out of the torque converter, but without the tranny turning, 2/3 of the fluid won't get changed. If they hooked it up to the tranny fluid cooler lines then I could see it working, but still with the trany turning.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 AM

yea they hook it up to the transmission lines, and basicaly as the old fluid is pumped out, in the return line they pump in new fluid.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 PM

if the car is on, in gear and running, they shouldn't need a pump.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 PM

"as the old fluid is pumped out" means the tranny is doing the pumping.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 AM

if that's the case then it's not a power flush ...... I'd go for that, but I'd stay and watch the process to make sure that is in fact the case.