General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny?? Engine??? Electronic?? --- Something's wrong!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Tranny?? Engine??? Electronic?? --- Something's wrong!!!

Yeah ..... I guess that's all I can really do right now. I like the light pattern, but it's not as good as a real HID reflector ...... not bad though.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 AM

New news: I drove it up to Mountain Creek for some snowboarding with my sister yesterday. One time on each drive, for about 2 minutes we could smell a burnt smell after a tranny slippage. Otherwise it drove fine. I checked the fluid after the second burn smell and it's still pink and doesn't smeel burnt, but it looks like the end. Anyone nearby wanna make an offer?

Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 AM

you can try that tranny treatment stuff form wal-mart, i forgot what it was called, 50slick or something like that. My dad used it onhis 98 accord v6 and when we began to have problems. The car is still runnung and tranny is at 170,000. Aloutgh this is not s permiit fix, it will stall you a great amount of time maybe to save up mopney for the car. I can voch for this little $8 can. you wont notice it at frist but like in 3,000 miles you will. Give it shoot. only $8.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 PM

hmm...... slick 50 tranny treatment?!? I'll give just about anything a shot, but I don't plan to keep the car for another 3000 miles. 3G is going to be gone in the next few weeks. I'd rather cut my losses than risk dealing with snowballing problems. I got 5 years out of the car and I'm sure the next person will also, but it's time for me to move on.

BTW --- I'm going to swap out the head and tail lights back to OEM ..... they are the only stock pieces that I still have ...... the lights and the VTEC controller will be for sale shortly. I need to look up the parts to figure out the sale price.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM

if you want to drive to chicago i'll do the tranny for free. just get your hands on the tranny and i'll help you out. i can have it done in 3 hours.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Wow Hondatech!!!!! Thanks for the offer, but I don't really think the car is worth a new tranny to me ...... someone is going to get a heck of a car after it is swapped out because everything else on this car is in excellent shape, just a few paint marks and some touched up rust.

For me, I've had this car for 5 years and I've maxxed out it's handling minus getting rims for it. I'm ready to have a manual car that is smaller and this is just a kick in the pants to get on that. When it gets a little warmer, I do plan to go to Chicago for a few reasons .... my parent company is there and they want to show me around a bit, my friend from school that got shot at the VT incident is there and I'd also like to shake your hand.

As for the car, I reset the codes last night and none have returned yet, but I did feel a tranny shudder. I'll update this thread as info presents itself. Thanks again for the advice and help!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 PM

What car do you plan on getting next?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 PM

Some kind of civic ..... ideally a 90-91 CRX si. After that, I think a 96 Prelude SH ...... but due to the rarity of those cars, I'll probably wind up getting a mid-90's civic hatch to keep unmodded for a year or 2. You have to remember that I hardly drive at all during the week. I figure that I can get a mid-90's hatch and when I'm ready to move on from that, it will have about the same value that I buy it for. The other thing is that even though I drive 10 miles a day M-F, I still need to have a car ..... northern NJ is not NYC.

EDIT: If I could find a 1st or 2nd gen MR2, I'd take that also. 1st gen had the suspension designed by Lotus engineers and the 2nd gen was the poor man's Ferrarri!!! Also sick handling. I'm looking for 1.5 g's on the skidpad.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM

wait...there was a 96 SH? or do you mean 97 SH?(97-01 is the last prelude model)

Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 AM

Whoops .... you're right ..... I meant the 5th gen SH's ..... 97-01.

I think that 3rd gen would be in the running too. The 2.0si 4WS.

Quick Reply: Tranny?? Engine??? Electronic?? --- Something's wrong!!!