General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Not Shifting 95 Accord NEED HELP BADLY

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Default Tranny Not Shifting 95 Accord NEED HELP BADLY

Hello. In desperate need of some help.

First of all I have been through every forum out in search of a solution to my problem and have tried everything suggested and I am back to square one with this problem.

Ok first started with CEL and the tranny shifting from 4th gear to 3rd while driving over 40MPH. This would cause the RPM gauge to sky rocket. The code reader said that it was the Tranny speed sensor. I did a tranny oil change and I changed the speed sensor with a couple of used ones from the salvage yard. The first one i put on did not fix anything. The second one I put on fixed the shifting problem but the speedo did not work. The 3rd was a new one and did not fix the problem either. Tranny still would shift from 4th to 3rd and now the speedo started going crazy by working and not working.

So then I changed the 2 lower sensors on the tranny and cycled through every speed sensor that I had previously bought to see if I could find a working combo but still did not work.

Then I changed the entire speed cluster and the car still would not shift properly.

So I decided to take it in to my local mechanic and he said that he has seen this problem before and most likely was a fried wire.

Mechanic went through car rewired the cluster changed out the computer cause he said it was not sending out the proper signal to the speed sensor. and changed the speed sensor again.

picked it up from mechanic worked fine for a week or so and they got the speedo to start working but continued Shifting from 4th to 3rd by itself.

Took it back to mechanic he said he would flush the tranny and add some Lucas non slip additive to tranny cause the tranny is slipping.

Picked up from mechanic and now the car wont shift through all the gears. From a dead stop if I shift the gear to first and work my way up it will go through the gears but then shift down to 3rd gear and stay in 3rd gear when i come to stop and take off again the whole time.

Mechanic said I needed a new tranny cause he has done everything possible and its just the tranny slipping out of gear.

So this morning I decided to disconnect the top tranny speed sensor because I am still not convinced its the tranny.

Then took it for a 30min drive on the streets and freeway and the tranny shifts through all the gears perfectly and there is no jerking when the gears change.

So I am back to square one where the CEL is on speedo not working cause speed sensor is disconnected. But My tranny works.

So what do I do Now.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 4-cylinder or V6 accord? What was the exact code you have?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Its a 4 cylinder. Code number P0725.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure on the year of your accord? I thought the 95 accord 4-cylinders were OBD1. Do you have the OBD2 electrical connector behind your ashtray?

Is the check engine light still turning on? Or the D4 light still flashing?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Yes I do have the OBD2 electrical connector behind ashtray. Check engine light comes back on and stays on. When I reset the CEL it comes back on when tranny shifts itself form 4th to 3rd when going over 40 MPH.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

The reason I am asking these questions is that my 95-97 accord shop manual does not have a P0725 code for the 4-cylinder engine.

There is a P0725 code for the V6 engine.

Have you owned this car since it was new? I'm wondering if another engine was possibly swapped in. Take a look near the front motor mount for the stamp on the engine. It should be something like F22B1.....

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0725 is a fault in the ignition coil circuit.

Replacing speed sensor will not fix this code.

This could also be a TCM board fault.

good luck

Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 PM

The number on the motor mount is F22B2. and I might be mistaken on the code since it was a month ago since i saw the code. Let me go to Pep Boys and have the code read again. Sorry. Thanks for ur help.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The reason I am asking these questions is that my 95-97 accord shop manual does not have a P0725 code for the 4-cylinder engine.

There is a P0725 code for the V6 engine.

Have you owned this car since it was new? I'm wondering if another engine was possibly swapped in. Take a look near the front motor mount for the stamp on the engine. It should be something like F22B1.....

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM

Ok I got the code read again and it shows P0715 Input/Turbine shaft speed sensor circuit

Originally Posted by grcia07
The number on the motor mount is F22B2. and I might be mistaken on the code since it was a month ago since i saw the code. Let me go to Pep Boys and have the code read again. Sorry. Thanks for ur help.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

That code is for the mainshaft speed sensor.

It is bolted on the transmission sort of under the battery.

You mentioned that you replaced sensors, but what sensors did you replace? See attached picture.

Quick Reply: Tranny Not Shifting 95 Accord NEED HELP BADLY