General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny problem when cold.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 91 Accord Tranny problem when cold.

Hi all. I just made my first post in the new members section.

Anyway, i just bought a 1991 Accord LX, automatic, 2.2L.

The question I have is regarding the transmission. The tranny seems to get stuck in first gear until it gets warm. The guy I bought it from was very up front about this, and also told me it does not happen in the summer when temps are warm.

What could be causing this? Does it simply need a fluid and filter change or is it something else?

Thanks!

Last edited by mb28; 02-13-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Does the D4 or S light start flashing when you are driving?

Even if it doesn't, you can check for transmission or engine codes by shorting a blue two pin connector behind passenger side kick panel.

See: http://techautorepairs.com/dtc.html

Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No lights are flashing. The fluid looks good and red--no burning or browning. There is no slippage.

I did notice that I can manually shift from 1 to 2, but as soon as I hit D3 or D4 it goes back down into 1st gear. Once it warms up, it shifts fine. I mean the shifts are a little harder than I'm sure they were when the car was new, but it shifts without issue.

I'm very new to this platform and manufacturer so I am at a loss.

I will try the posted suggestion.

Any other ideas?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Default I have the same problem

Same problem here!!! What did you find out????

Please help!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Default Kind of the same problem here

Hi, have a 95 Accord 4 cylinder VTEC auto trans, have kind of the same problem, when it's about ten degrees or lower if put in D4 it won't move, D1 is the only spot that will work and it takes a few minutes before it can be put in D4. Attribute to the cold and nothing more.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Default This 'is' a common problem and...

I don't understand why there aren't any other accord owners out there with this problem willing to throw in their 2 cents.... ?? I know this is a common problem...but ....

Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 PM

Well mine is shifting in D4 but you really feel the drag when she shifted from 1st to 2nd gear. However it will get better after 10-20 minutes of stop and go traffic.
This probably cause by the cold weather and oil as well.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, someone asked for .02 cents-first no codes stored, notice I didn't ask about flashing lights, asked if there are any stored codes.

If not, have you changed trans fluid using Honda Z1 (being replaced by DW1 soon). I've read serval posts about this and a few of them resolved the issue by a few drain and fills with Honda fluid...so pure theory, nothing to back it up. I've always used Honda trans fluid and have never had this issue.

Last edited by poorman212; 03-14-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by darkgreen18290
Well mine is shifting in D4 but you really feel the drag when she shifted from 1st to 2nd gear. However it will get better after 10-20 minutes of stop and go traffic.
This probably cause by the cold weather and oil as well.
My '97 wagon experiences a similar problem. If I start the car first thing in the morning and let it run approx. 10 minutes, there is no shifting issue. However, if you don't it pretty much slips through all gears, but it does shift.

Never a check engine light or any codes. I added half a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and it helped slightly. After reading more about trans issues with these cars, I pulled the plug and let as much drain as I could (ended up being 3 qts.) and cleaned the magnetic drain plug. I then added the 3 qts. of Z1 and drove for a couple days. I did notice an improvement, but it didn't completely solve the problem.

So....I did the same again after the couple days. There is a definite improvement. Not perfect, but better than after the first drain/refill. I can now drive with the car not warmed up and experience little to at times no slippage. I plan on doing this one more time in the next few days to check for more improvement.

The downside....Z1 is expensive. Luckily, I have found a carquest auto parts store close to me that stocks it for $6.99 a qt., cheaper than the local Honda dealer. Spending the $45 gamble on a hopeful fix is better than giving up though, and it seems to be paying off.....

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by phastlt1
My '97 wagon experiences a similar problem. If I start the car first thing in the morning and let it run approx. 10 minutes, there is no shifting issue. However, if you don't it pretty much slips through all gears, but it does shift.

Never a check engine light or any codes. I added half a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and it helped slightly. After reading more about trans issues with these cars, I pulled the plug and let as much drain as I could (ended up being 3 qts.) and cleaned the magnetic drain plug. I then added the 3 qts. of Z1 and drove for a couple days. I did notice an improvement, but it didn't completely solve the problem.

So....I did the same again after the couple days. There is a definite improvement. Not perfect, but better than after the first drain/refill. I can now drive with the car not warmed up and experience little to at times no slippage. I plan on doing this one more time in the next few days to check for more improvement.

The downside....Z1 is expensive. Luckily, I have found a carquest auto parts store close to me that stocks it for $6.99 a qt., cheaper than the local Honda dealer. Spending the $45 gamble on a hopeful fix is better than giving up though, and it seems to be paying off.....
yes your right Z1 is expensive, im using Dexron III (AC delco). its been two times i drain & refill the tranny together with engine oil change since i bought my accord sept last year. i will try to put Z1 next time and see whats the diff.

Last edited by darkgreen18290; 03-15-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Tranny problem when cold.