General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans fluid debate Z1 or Maxlife

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default trans fluid debate Z1 or Maxlife

Hey guys.. Been doing a lot of research on which trans fluid to use. Lots of people say only use the Honda stuff. But there are a lot of people who seem to like the Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Here is my situation.. I have a 98 accord automatic that needs the fluid flushed. It has 160,000 miles on the clock. Right now the car shifts fine. Shifts are a bit hard during the winter, but are normal when the car warms up. Looking back on the previous owners service records I see the car had a Wynns power flush at around 95,000 at a Firestone shop. I can bet they did not use the Z1 fluid. I did a drain and refill with my buddy that worked at Jiffy Lube at about 135,000 miles. Again we did not use the Z1 fluid. Now I want to get fresh fluid in there and plan on doing the fill and flush X4 to renew the fluid. Since the car has been running on the non Z1 ATF for the last 70K or so would I be safe to use Maxlife or should I go to the dealer and shell out 85 bucks for a case of the Z1?
Thanks..

Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ariff
Hey guys.. Been doing a lot of research on which trans fluid to use. Lots of people say only use the Honda stuff. But there are a lot of people who seem to like the Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Here is my situation.. I have a 98 accord automatic that needs the fluid flushed. It has 160,000 miles on the clock. Right now the car shifts fine. Shifts are a bit hard during the winter, but are normal when the car warms up. Looking back on the previous owners service records I see the car had a Wynns power flush at around 95,000 at a Firestone shop. I can bet they did not use the Z1 fluid. I did a drain and refill with my buddy that worked at Jiffy Lube at about 135,000 miles. Again we did not use the Z1 fluid. Now I want to get fresh fluid in there and plan on doing the fill and flush X4 to renew the fluid. Since the car has been running on the non Z1 ATF for the last 70K or so would I be safe to use Maxlife or should I go to the dealer and shell out 85 bucks for a case of the Z1?
Thanks..
Get the honda stuff...they are some picky BUTT transmissions for some reason...and seeing as you state shifts hard during winter...not good...means when your fluid is warmed up then it slips enough to shift normal....unless you enjoy rebuilding the thing.

Dunno why they trans is so picky but do youorself a favor and get the honda stuff.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 PM

I would not touch my transmission if I were you.
If you have a 98 AT with 160k and no trans problems, consider yourself lucky. Doing a fluid change will only put the trans at greater risk in my opinion. Changing the fluid could loosen stuff that is in there essentially "holding it together."

Old 02-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Humm really you think I can damage the transmission by changing the fluid? Anyone else have opinions to thoughts on this. I am not saying you are wrong and thanks for the reply. Just want to get some second opinions on the topic.
Thanks..

Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 PM

I have never heard of changing Transmission fluid as part of regular maintenance doing any damage. get a case of the Z-1

Old 02-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I would have expected that fresh fluid would be GOOD for the tranny. But I don't like auto trannys so don't really know firsthand.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:39 AM

If the fluid is really dirty or smells burnt, then I would leave it alone.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Nope it is not real dirty or smelly. Kinda a pinkish\brown color..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Honda doesn't use any miracle fluids in their cars. Any brand-name approved fluids (for the correct application) will work fine. For instance their oil is supplied by Mobil, the dealership near me told me this (about the oil that is.) Keep it changed on or before the recommended time and it should do fine. Not a mechanic, just a 30-year driver who's been around the block a few times.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Not miracle fluids, but specific additive packages that don't match other stuff off the shelf. That's the case with power-steering fluid and auto-trans fluid. Mobil might supply the fluid, but that doesn't mean it's the same recipe you'll find on WalMart's shelf.

Quick Reply: trans fluid debate Z1 or Maxlife