General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Default Transmission cooler

hey I've been seeing some stuff on the posts about a transmission cooler and i was wondering where i would get one, how much and if it would be something fairly simple to install. i have a 6th gen and the A/T trannys are notorious for being crap. i burned through one in a little over 100,000 miles, i was wondering if installing one of these would save my transmission some lifespan? and if it is something that's easy to do instructions would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission cooler

Here's everything that you need.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...+tranny+cooler

Old 10-03-2007, 12:57 PM

Is it necessary to take the front bumper off or can the battery tray be removed and go that route? Great link though!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM

The front bumper is easier to remove and takes about 10-15 minutes. I haven't done this yet, but plan to in the near future.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:13 PM

But it can be done through the batter tray? I don't really want to mess with my front bumper =/. Is the process pretty much the same for an i4?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:21 PM

I'd expect that it would basically be identical except that you have more room to work. You might be able to get away with leaving the bumper on and still working from below. Again, I haven't done it yet.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Is it the same tranny cooler as it is in the v6 for th i4?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 PM

any would work. the write-ups are for the V6 since it's tranny is more prone to failure. I'd use the same one .... maybe a size larger if you think it could fit since the 4 has to rev higher at the same speed.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM

Cool. I'm defintely going to look into this. I changed my tranny fluid today (12,000 miles about since last one) and it looked alright. I'm very concerned about the tranny since mine went out at around 93k miles =/. When I was doing my fluid change it looked to me like in the i4 the two lines are very very accessible. Can anyone verify this? I'll have to get a pic to verify if those are the two. Doesn't even look like the battery and the battery holder would need to be removed.

Is hayden the cooler of choice? When I was at autozone bringing my used tranny oil they had a "air compressor" (i think that was the name) brand for 60 bucks which would need to be special ordered.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 6genex

hey I've been seeing some stuff on the posts about a transmission cooler and i was wondering where i would get one, how much and if it would be something fairly simple to install. i have a 6th gen and the A/T trannys are notorious for being crap. i burned through one in a little over 100,000 miles, i was wondering if installing one of these would save my transmission some lifespan? and if it is something that's easy to do instructions would be greatly appreciated
i will totally sell you mine. brand new in the box. i was gonna install it on my ex-gf's auto mazda millenia, but she got a 5spd elantra gt instead. want it? its been sittin in my garage for quite a few months now. how bout $30 shipped? i can take some pics if you want, im pretty sure its a universal size thing.

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler