General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission delay 2 seconds before going into drive

Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Default transmission delay 2 seconds before going into drive

So now the jerking is gone after trying the PCM relearn process, but it still has a delay when going from P to D...Also when it comes to stop it seems like the car will stop and then car will jerk just a bit...when going to drive it wont pick up after stop RPM will go up then car will shift, but once the car is moving the gears shift properly.I was thinking maybe the programing is off or maybe the pressure switches? has anyone had this issue?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

What year vehicle is this?

Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What year vehicle is this?
Thank you PAhonda!!!! 2012 Accord SE Sedan...62k miles no ATF change yet...

Last edited by jits1980; 03-25-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by jits1980
but it still has a delay when going from P to D...Also when it comes to stop it seems like the car will stop and then car will jerk just a bit...when going to drive it wont pick up after stop RPM will go up then car will shift, but once the car is moving the gears shift properly ... has anyone had this issue?
Someone will chime in with Honda specific info, but reminds me of AT tranny performance issue on old worthless Ford van after no tranny service for a long time. Ran fine forever, other than the delay issues you describe.

On a good vehicle, I'd probably do two or more drain and fills of AT fluid in a row (each typically replaces ~30% of total fluid) separated by >5 or 10 miles of driving. Use Honda brand fluid. Best.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Having the fluid changed is a good idea. Use Honda fluid. Take a look in the owner's manual to see when it should be changed. Check the fluid level (as described in the owner's manual) before changing to see if you lost fluid.

You mentioned PCM relearn process, so was some work done on you car before? You may want to get the codes scanned. Most parts stores do this as a free service. Post the actual code on here, like P1234, or let us know if you get no codes.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 PM

the car was in a minor accident and the had removed the air filter assembly and front end...The Code was P0962 Pressure Control Solenoid which was replaced with a new one and check engine light and Flashing D was gone. There are no codes on the system and car has going through all monitors and everything is reset...I have ordered both pressure switches from the dealer along with the Transmission Fluid for a Drain and Refill.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Having the fluid changed is a good idea. Use Honda fluid. Take a look in the owner's manual to see when it should be changed. Check the fluid level (as described in the owner's manual) before changing to see if you lost fluid.

You mentioned PCM relearn process, so was some work done on you car before? You may want to get the codes scanned. Most parts stores do this as a free service. Post the actual code on here, like P1234, or let us know if you get no codes.
Motor Mounts looks good along with Transmission mounts....I changed both pressure switches along with a tranny drain and fill, but the symptoms still have not gone away...I am starting to fear the worst as a bad transmission...I will be taking it to check out the programing....

Symptoms are when shifting from P to R or D the RPM will jump from 1000 to 1500 then shift jerking it into gear, also when coming to stop, the car will stop and then the transmission will catch up seems like and have a subtle jerk on the stop. When going from Stop to gas the RPM will jump before the car will go causing it to jerk if i step on the gas hard....Can only help? or share your experience?

Old 03-27-2016, 04:11 PM

i havent done the drain and fill 3x just once so far do you think i should do it 3x? the fluid was looking clean and red when i drained.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jits1980
i havent done the drain and fill 3x just once so far do you think i should do it 3x? the fluid was looking clean and red when i drained.
I don't know if you mean you HAVE done the 3x or you HAVE NOT. Either way, you most definitely want to change the fluid doing the 3X method. I would just change it and drive it for 5 minutes and make sure you put it in reverse and run through all the gears, then move on to the second and third change. Change the fluid every 30K miles or sooner.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mikebike125
I don't know if you mean you HAVE done the 3x or you HAVE NOT. Either way, you most definitely want to change the fluid doing the 3X method. I would just change it and drive it for 5 minutes and make sure you put it in reverse and run through all the gears, then move on to the second and third change. Change the fluid every 30K miles or sooner.
I will do it 2 more times as i have only done it once so far. ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission delay 2 seconds before going into drive