General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission/ Electrical Issue

Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Post Transmission/ Electrical Issue

1999 Honda Accord- 4 cylinder- automatic
180,000 miles
Over the past year, the car has at random times done the following:
while driving, the tachometer and speedometer both move with the maintenance required light coming on and the transmission not engaging. This lasts about 2 seconds, then everything is back to normal. I have not been able to pinpoint its occurance to a particular gear shift, although it usually happens when I am in a lower gear. It does not occur every day, sometimes it does not do this for a week or 2 and sometimes 2 times in one trip.
On Saturday, this occured again as I was slowing down to turn, but the transmission never re-engaged and the car shut down. It would not crank for the next couple of minutes, then it cranked and I was able to drive with no problems.
Anyone have ideas? What is casuing this, how can I fix it?

Old 07-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Is the check engine light on? or does it come on when the problem arises?

Is it the original transmission? The 98-02 automatic transmissions are notorious for dying. However that does not explain the maintenance reqquired light coming on and the tach and speedo messing up.
Could be something electrical.
A bad vehicle speed sensor will cause shifting problems and make the speedometer mess up, but it will also cause the check engine light to come on. I have never heard of a bad VSS doing anything to the tach though.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The maintenance required light comes on when the problem is occuring and goes off after. The check engine light is constantly on due to an emissions issue (the 2 codes it gives are both emissions related).

Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

What 2 codes (the actual numbers)?

The maintenance required lamp is a funny clue. It's supposed to come on based on mileage alone, not a functional test of any kind. Having that lamp come on & go off might indicate problems in the wiring harness.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Check Engine Codes

P1491 according to my service bulletin EGR valve insufficient lift
P0401 EGR insufficient flow

Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

After talking to some people, it sounds like I may have 2 seperate problems (unrelated). The transmission problem may be electrical- bad connection. The car actually turning off is a seperate problem- possibly a fuel pump issue??
Yesterday the car turned off right after it started, then started with no problems. The car was driven a little further and turned cut-off, then would not start for a couple of minutes, then started and had no problems the rest of the drive.
Any ideas? Some have said that there car has done wierd stuff when the fuel pump was on it's last leg- does the car turning off sound like a fuel pump issue? or something else?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

If it were a fuel pump issue the oil & alternator warning lights would come on.

If it were a flaky ignition switch, those lights would not come on because the ECU thinks you've switched off the car.

A bad main relay normally prevents starting, but it's unusual for that to cause stalling when the car is already running. But the main relay is known to be a common problem, and it would cause the fuel pump to stop running.

I don't understand any connection with the maint.req. light. Unless the maint.req. counter is at that in-between stage where it flashes on startup but doesn't stay ON. That would flash & go out each time the ignition switch goes off & on.

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-24-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM
TiltRotor
Unregistered

I have a 1999 Honda Accord LX with automatic transmission and had a similar problem. Transmission was slipping, would shift from first to third thought the transmission was going out. Took the car to the local Honda dealer and they verified the transmission needed to be replaced for $3,500.00. I wasn't convinced and called a few transmission places to get another opinion. On my way to the other shops which was 18 miles away the car started doing crazy things. Tach started jumping up and down, lights going on and off on the dash. Instrument cluster dropping off as if I had shut off the car. The engine died twice and restarted, and then I notice the engine power decrease because the battery was dying. The car finally shut off. However, by the time all of this happened I knew the alternator was the problem. Towed the car home and changed the alternator and the car ran like new. Went to the Honda dealership service department, told them what had happened and got my $100.00 back for their missed diagnosis. Go to Autozone, Advance, NAPA, or O'Rielly's and have them check your alternator. Hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome newbie TiltRotor!
Good idea. Low system voltage can do all kinds of crazy things.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

My battery volts seem fine (12-14 volts), but I will run by Autozone and have it checked out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission/ Electrical Issue