General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission fluid/filter change

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Default Transmission fluid/filter change

I've had my Accord for less than a year. It has 226,000 miles on it. I have no idea whether or not the transmission fluid has ever been changed. I am looking for opinions on whether or not to change it (and the filter). I've heard from some people that if it has never been changed, changing it now could cause deposits or build up to loosen and cause problems with the transmission.

What are your opinions please?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Look at a fluid specimen on a white paper towel. Is it dead black, black w/ red tinge, or red-black. If it's red-black, suggest just a drain/replace of the fluid (~ 4 qts typically).

If it's black or black w/ red tinge, you can try a full replacement (see following link) or simply drain/replace/run for 15 mins, 3 times to get most of the fluid replaced.

Lots of different opinions on replacement vs. repeated fill/drains (search), but they are essentially equivalent and wind up w/ high percentage of old fluid replaced w/ new fluid.

For all cases, only use Honda ATF.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 11-21-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

What year is your Accord? And most accord I know don't have changeable filters. Their all internal I believe. That's why Honda made a easy access drain plug. So it could be easily changed often. And I dont see how dirt is good for your tranny. Only thing I've ever heard is if you do a flush with a machine it could blow some seals and cause fluid to leak. But only use Honda tranny fluid there are certain additives that helps keep all the screens clean and lubricated right. Honda tranny's are very picky. You'll regret it if not.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM

I have an 01 LX with 235K on it. Fluid has never been changed and I was concerned about this as well.

Called dealership. They advised NOT to change it at this point, as new fluid might cause problems. Made no sense to me, but I'm going with their recommendation. Currently it shifts like a champ

Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by accordfan
I have an 01 LX with 235K on it. Fluid has never been changed and I was concerned about this as well.

Called dealership. They advised NOT to change it at this point, as new fluid might cause problems. Made no sense to me, but I'm going with their recommendation. Currently it shifts like a champ
They may not want any liability of advising you to change it and have it fail in the near future. You change, it fails, you blame it on the dealer. You do nothing and it fails, you dont blame it on the dealer. Just sayin

Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Id do 1 drain and refill. That will freshen up the fluid alittle. That's me thou. 235k is alot on a auto tranny without fluid change. I've always been too hard on autos. I change my fluid often every other oil change I do a drain and refill. So Maby my tranny's used to it. If Honda recommended not then idk.if its shifting fine then I wouldn't worry.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by john_pyro
I've had my Accord for less than a year.
It has 226,000 miles on it.
I have no idea whether or not the transmission fluid has ever been changed.
If it's still shifting like a champ then it's been changed.
Suggest do a drain and fill using Honda fluid ... the minor (and cheap) way to service tranny fluid.
Repeat annually is what I've started to do. Luck to you.

BTW - Don't be freaked out by the gunky deposits on the drain plug magnet; next year will be less.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:05 AM

If your super paranoid you could change 1 quart or so by just loosening the plug slightly then drive for a 100 miles or so. Do that a couple times then finally pull the plug and clean it off. If it were me I would drain the 2.5 qts or so drive for a bit then do it again.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by moey
If your super paranoid you could change 1 quart or so by just loosening the plug slightly then drive for a 100 miles or so. Do that a couple times then finally pull the plug and clean it off. If it were me I would drain the 2.5 qts or so drive for a bit then do it again.
Don't follow this advice literally. Drain, refill w/ new fluid, then drive.

If you do this once, you've replaced 2.5 of 6 qts w/ new ATF.

If you do a 2nd time, you've replaced (2.5/6)3.5+2.5 = 3.95 of 6 qts

If you do a 3rd time, you've replaced 3.5(3.95/6) + 2.5 = 4.80 of 6 qts

At this point you've replaced 80% of the orginal fluid w/ new ATF, and have used 7.5 qts.

You can continue, but gets' kinda expensive at $8/qt. Your best bang for buck is 2 changes to get roughly 2/3 of ATF replaced.

That's why I suggest using hydraulic pump to pump the old fluid out. This way you replace 6/6 qts using perhaps 7 qts of total ATF.

good luck

Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I hope you don't mean loosen the plug & let it drain as you drive...

Yes, you can drain some of it, & put the plug back in before it's all drained out. In fact, if you want to do this, maybe try when the transmission is cold. Maybe more crud settles to the bottom & that crud comes out first?

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid/filter change