General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Followups

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Default Transmission Followups

Im new to your forums and have spent the past few hours reading through the DIY section (Lots of great info in there btw) and doing some searches of my own. My questions are centered around my transmission right now.

I have been hunting information on "hard" shifting and a kind of "lunk" downshift to 1st gear when slowing to a stop or to turn in somewhere. I just got a 96 Accord LX 4cyl from my mother. It had a bad transmission (slipping in every gear and after 10-12 miles wouldnt even come out of 2nd). So I found a tranny at the local import salvage yard for $400 + $250 installed. They used ATF-Z1 fluid and was insistant to never use anything but that if I had to add to it later in its life. It had\has 138,000 miles when this was done. I just picked it up today and the engine light came back on b4 I got home. I had AZ clear it for me and went on home. I noticed that there is definately no slipping in shifting but it is kind of a hard shifting. BTW: The engine light was on b4 I took it to have the tranny changed out.

I was just wanting to get some input from anyone with some insight and also find out if the rest of the guys whos articles I have read about similar things, have had any luck with the Lubeguard additive? I was advised to never put anything like that into a Honda tranny, but I am reading otherwise and would just like to know more about it.

I also have a somewhat low idle @500-600 rpm most of the time. I plan to change the fuel filter and try the EGR channel & ports cleaning and the ?fast idle valve? cleaning to see if it helps a little.

Any input is greatly appreciated. And the site is great![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Transmission Followups

Switch to Honda ATF, get about 10 bottles of the stuff, drain the tranny (I think only 3 or 4 quarts will drain), fill it up, drive around a few miles, then repeat the process 2 more times, that's probably the cheapest, easiest and quickest way to see if you can fix the issue with a fluid change, Depending on the severity of the "clunk" and hard shift it might just cure your issues.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Switch to Honda ATF,
They did use Honda ATF-Z1 ,and since they just replaced the tranny I would have to assume that they also drained the torque conv of any old fluid while it was out ,,So replacing the fluid i do not think will help his issue at this time

if the D4 lite is on, you need to read the code and post it here ... also i would have them ch the adjustment on the tranny throttle cable ... And DO NOT add any additive to the tranny

As for the low idle , try cleaning the throttle body first ,also remove the adjuster screw and clean the passage as well , then readjust the idle , engine warm at about 700-750- in park or neutral

Old 11-24-2007, 01:34 PM

didn't catch that, thanks for the follow-up/correction DH

Old 11-24-2007, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

didn't catch that, thanks for the follow-up/correction DH
no need to thank me my friend ..

Old 11-24-2007, 02:29 PM

The only code that Auto Zone got was P0740 -[/b] Torque Converter Clutch circuit.

I've read that this could be afew things, some not as serious as others. This morning as I headed home from work, the shift didnt seem as harsh as it did yesterday when I picked the car up. But it does seem to take an extra second to go into gear when going from Rev to Drive4. But as I said, the shift is a little better.

Thanx Deserthonda thats yet another no to additives.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: fatboy77

The only code that Auto Zone got was P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch circuit.
First thing you ned to do is to chk all the pressures, chk the line pressure first.
if all the pressures are ok, they are saying to replace the lock up control solenoid valve, ,, reset the ecu ( just remove the back-up/ radio fuse from under-hood fuse box) for about 20 seconds,

test drive the car at a steady 50 mph for about 3-5 minutes.
if code comes back on they say to replace the torque convetor and or the tranny ..

you might want to have a shop test the lock up control solenoid valve before replacing it..chk the connections, the wiring ,

Did the used tranny come with the valves ?? lock-up and shift solenoid valves ??

Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

you might want to have a shop test the lock up control solenoid valve before replacing it..chk the connections, the wiring ,

Did the used tranny come with the valves ?? lock-up and shift solenoid valves ??
Monday would be the earliest I could find out. I didnt know much about it b4 to ask.

Thanks

Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM

This is for DH. Like most persons on the forum, I highly respect your opinions. I find your postings very helpful. However, I'm a bit confused about the Lubegard issue. Honda itself has recommended it's usage as a possible cure for harsh shifting. This is the only additive so recommended.You seem to disagree with this.....why? I would be very grateful if you could further explain yourstance, as I'm also suffering from harsh shifting and about to try Lubegard. Thanks

Old 11-24-2007, 03:59 PM

Accord_Ras
Not to thread jack or anything but I was curious where you saw the honda recommendation. I've also always been under the impression that you shouldn't use it but I've never seen any documetion one way or the other and would like to finally have an answer, do you have a link?

Quick Reply: Transmission Followups