General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission Problem.

honda atf z1 can be purchased at the dealership. the d4 light blinking usually means that your VSS is bad and needs to be replaced. the stiffness in the shifter......i really have no idea.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:34 AM
jinkamasaki
Unregistered

Okay cool!
Thanks for the advise. I will definately check that out. But what exactly is a VSS? And do you know anything about my gear question?

Someone told me that I can save gas if I drive in D3 in city driving conditions and D4 in highway or high speed conditions. Is this true and how come I never heard of this before? I thought 1, 2, D3, D$ were there for manual shifting. @__@ confused...

Oncce again thanks for the advise and I am stopping by my mechanice tomorrow to check up with my bumper so I will ask him about that stuff...

Old 04-16-2006, 01:29 PM

Hello all. I have some news, found a company in phoenix arizona for remaufactured transmissions. A 98 accord 4cyl remanufactured transmission is 895, with 12 month/12k mile warranty. They also offer 3yr or 36k mile warranty, but that I will have to wait til monday to find out about. let u know then. I would still have intention to upgrade car, but for now its my commuter so I really need reliability for now.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: mamarotta

Hello all. I have some news, found a company in phoenix arizona for remaufactured transmissions. A 98 accord 4cyl remanufactured transmission is 895, with 12 month/12k mile warranty. They also offer 3yr or 36k mile warranty, but that I will have to wait til monday to find out about. let u know then. I would still have intention to upgrade car, but for now its my commuter so I really need reliability for now.
good luck withthe transmission. I hope everything works out

Old 04-28-2006, 12:59 AM

Hello all once again I am back. Just wanted to update everyone on what I have been upto since my last post. Well I found the value of the car, which is about $7000 market value / $3750 dealer trade...perfect condition...lol...what car is 8 yrs old and is in perfect condition, I decided that this problem should cost about $1500 to fix. I found a good transmission man that I can trust and he wants $600 to install trans. That leaves me about $900 for the trans. I found a local auto salvage that was honest and trust worthy. I bought a Honda trans for $850 out of a 2000 accord sedan that had 35000 miles. My trans man says it seams fine and he knows them (the auto recyclers) they are honest and do not price gouge just because you need an item. The salvage yard is in Avnelle, NJ...I believe its Homstead Auto Recyclers...tel# 1-732-636-8783. They were honest and very helpful. Would definitely do business with them again. Will let you know later on in the week how the job turns out, but for now all indicators seam to be green. Oh, by the way if you are wondering where I found this auto recycler to be gin with, I looked on www.car-parts.com, I think its a pretty good site. You don't have to fill in a request and pay 5 dollars to have your request sit at the bottom of a pile. Information is fairly accurate, but really if its wrong its the loss of a call.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:17 AM
Administrator

Hi ...
That VSS stands for Vehicle Speed Sensor.
This VSS sends frequency signals to your PCM. It's frequency increases as your car moves faster and faster to give your vehicles PCM more vehicle speed information which in turn is used to determine your shift points, your engine load and cruise control functions if you have cruise control..
Hope this helps you out..

WheelBrokerAng [sm=icon_blah.gif]

Old 04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need to read the code and post it here,to properly diagnose ,.it could be but
it is not necessarely a bad VSS,

as for the hard shifting , you could have a bad shifter cable,,

you waste gas drivind in d3,, you always want to use d4 ,city or hwy and let tranny choose the proper gear at the proper speed ......Unless of course you are going down a long steep downhill, than you would want to use d3 or d2 as needed, so you don't have to brake all the time and overheat them .
so ,,,get the code and post it here ,,

Old 05-02-2006, 08:10 PM

Hey all..got some good news and some bad news...Ill start with the Bad news first. Trans was put in and installer says its bad...ok so im thinking...bad like the car barely moves. Well its alot better than than what i had and I have to be honest it really works well...almost new it feels responsive. I dont understand what the transmission installer was talking about. Its fine I have been beating on it to make it slip from 1 to 2, that's what's supposedly bad. As far as I'm concerned it doesnt even slip alittle bit. Maybe the car is going to act up tommorow morning when its cold. ok so that was the bad news... now for the good news. I Put on my slotted and drilled rotors and adr intense wheels. well the car handles like I have a brand new car. they are 17 X 7...alittle to wide. scrapes the outter lip of the quarter pannels... that only happens when I drive aggressively. most of the time I drive normal, but it looks great. Well my first question is should the slots be like / or like \. I mouted the rotors like the second slash. the car looks great and handles like I can't believe. has anyone encountered this with these wheels. If so any suggestions on how to solve the problem...another set of wheels prob is a good idea but would like to work with what I have. if i try to track the wheels differently... meaning if I angle them in slightly possibly totally miss the panel. but i dont know what that will do to the tire life... and i would imagine that lowering the car with a nice suspension with these wheels is not the answer either. again anyone ahve suggestions...thanks

Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 PM

the slots on the rotors should start at the lower left towards the front of the car and extend up and towards the back of the car / allowing debries/gases to carry up/away with the flow of the wind etc.

Did you end up having to pay for the tranny? if it's bad are they going to get you another one or was it an aftermarket one? (used)

Old 05-04-2006, 10:52 AM

Car runs fine hot or cold...Mike's Transmission in Wallington NJ USA... tells me that the trans is bad, but I haven't any clue as to why he said its bad. the trans was adverised as having 35000 miles and u know what it drives like whe my car was new... it makes sense...i hope it gives me anther 100k...or maybe im being greedy. the original mil code was p0740 and p0700 (or at least thats what the dealer told me on my report).

I had some thoughts about the scrapping of the tires...can a anti-sway bar help? it would seam that its all bodyroll...this sway bar might give me a marked improvement...ok so my slotts are backwards...havent heard an ribbing from D...what can i do/say at least i was consistent...lol...its funny but the wheels are scrapping less.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem.