General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission problem maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Default RE: transmission problem maybe?

ok i know it been awhile but i been working and was wondering if the transmission fluid is located in the same place as the engine oil. I look at all the fluid and it seems there is nothing on any of the caps that says transmission fluid. is the power steering cap the transmission fluid?

Old 06-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

standing in front of car facing engine:

left side of engine is transmission. On the front bottom of the transmission near the engine you will find a yellow or brown colored dipstick. that is where you check and add trans fluid.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:42 AM

o ok so i add transmission fluid where the dipstick is at or where the engine oil cap is? Sorryu but I barely know anything about cars engine and don't want to pay alot of $$ if my trans fluid is low.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:22 AM

Add the fluid at the dipstick. The engine oil is just for engine oil - no trans fluid down there!! It's probably best to use a narrow funnel to help you.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 PM

Have you tried manually shifting through the gears to see if it behaves differently? In other words, put the car in "L" and as the RPMs increase shift into "2", then "D3", and "D4" respectively. Take care not to over-rev the engine in the low gears... let us know what it does when you do this. I had the shift solenoids go out on a '96 Camry that I had at one point and it had some similar symptoms to what you are describing. They are much cheaper to replace than the tranny...

Old 06-29-2006, 12:15 PM

like i asked earlier..........is the d lite flashing??? any codes ??

Old 07-01-2006, 05:17 PM

the engine light is on and i don't know where to go to check the codes.
So now i am trying to drain the trans fluid. so my question is now where is the drain plug? im under the car and see no drain plug.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:33 PM

It's obvious that you should probably take this to mechanic. Let's face facts your likely to do more damage by working on the car yourself. At least get a repair manual from the autoparts store before you do anything to the car. Your a college student, would you take a test without studying the book first?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:53 PM

yea i completely agree. you could very easily ruin your engine and transmission at this point, which will make your car just about useless. if you put transmission fluidin your engine oil dipstick, it is just like putting it in the engine oil cap. just be careful. we want to help you with your problem. but the best help that we can give you right now is to take it to someone who knows how to work on cars. for a couple hundred bucks it would be worth it, because if you mess up the engine or tranny you will be looking at thousands

Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 PM

like the other two people said the best thing to do right now is get a book and educate yourself on it a little bit or post pictures of what you're looking at and we can walk you through it a bit better... if you can find someone around that knows about cars that might not be a bad idea either... if your college has a shop program see if there is anyone going through school to become a mechanic...

Quick Reply: transmission problem maybe?