General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Problems Brewing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Default Transmission Problems Brewing?

Hello, I own a 1994 Honda Accord EX Sedan today I started to hear odd noises coming from the car. When I drive it between 15-40 MPH I hear this sound similar to a soda can filled with nuts and bolts being shook. I put the car in park and revved the engine I don't hear the sound. When I put the car in drive (D4) and I accelerate I hear this noise, especially when I get it to stick in-between gears. I also tried driving in D3, D2, D1, and reverse I still hear the noise.

This car has 92,000 miles on it and I just want it to last until next year when I can trade it in for a new car, I already put enough money into this car if the transmission needs repair I won't know what to do. I am taking the car in next Tuesday to have a mechanic look at it but I wanted to hear from people in the know what the problem could possible be so I can brace myself. Thanks again.

Chris

Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Default RE: Transmission Problems Brewing?

err i dont know if ive heard a noise like that, have you checked your c/v joints? boots torn open? its hard to say, it could be an internal trans. bearing ex. differential bearing, which your better off replacing the trans with a used one, may also be a torque converter, but we dont see very many of those, and i think if it was that it would probally make noise even in park. Check the c/v joints see if the boots are torn, may need an axle? tough to say without lookin at it...

Old 05-14-2008, 07:58 PM

Thanks Poff, I only hear the noise when the car is in motion and only at the speeds I mentioned. So if this is a transmission problem the mechanic can't just fix it? It will need to be replaced? Either way all these issues sound expensive to fix.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM

May sound crazy, but your noise may be the rear brake wear indicators....You have an EX and EX models have rear pads.

When you are moving forward, those rear squeelers can sound weird, especially if the sound is echoing off other cars.

Back up slowly in your driveway with the driver's door open and see if it squeels.

If that is it, post it...I'm curious

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 PM

Funny you said that, back about half a year ago my rear brakes totally failed. My foot went to the floor pushing down on the brake. That was a $500 job, the master cylinder went. When I backup I do hear the noise slightly but its not as pronounced as when I have it going forward.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM

I just wanted to add this isn't a squealing sound, it sounds like a ball bearing in a metal can. Why would this happen all of a sudden? Also the brakes were replaced along with the master cylinder.

Wouldn't the brakes cause me problems also?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM

That's most likely your transmission noise.

If you need pads, always use Genuine Honda

They are better and the will last longer....

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Transmission noise? Meaning the transmission is the problem? What about pads? Brake pads were replaced 1000 miles ago.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 PM

I had logged off for the night but came back on to check something and saw your inquiry.....

The noise that you are describing (that you were worried about being the transmission)is most likely the rear brake pad wear indicators.....

Check you reciept from last year....Make sure that rear brake pads were replaced.

If the rear brake pads were replaced last year and they are worn down to the wear indicators again, check the slide pins in the rear calipers.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 PM

Thanks, but the pads were replaced the the calipers were fixed. My brakes work fine now. I will ask the guy and see what he thinks.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems Brewing?