General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission and Spark plug wire issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Default Transmission and Spark plug wire issues.

Hello! I'm new to the forum so excuse any noobishness So I own a 1997 Honda Accord LX, Automatic transmission. Now I got the car for $2,300 and I found out that the millage on the dash is incorrect, the car actually has about double of that. So I was scammed but I got it off craigslist and have no proof of purchase so I can't do much about it. Sucks, but oh well, Car still works good. There is some problems though. So I know the transmission is starting to go, There is some gear slippage and when I put it into drive it takes a second for the transmission to actually catch gear. (Not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, Sorry!) but the shifter lever I think is off, because the lever has a little thing next to it letting me know where to put the lever for what gear you want, but all the way at the bottom there is a 1, for first gear, but when I put it all the way down the dash say its still in 2nd, and it drives like its in second, and say if I wanted to put the car into D4, I have to put it in between D4 and D3, its very weird. Not sure if that's how its supposed to be or what. How do I fix it? Also I believe there is a significant loss of power due to some of the spark plug wires kinda bulging and poping out of the socket. Do I need new wires or spark plugs? and does if affect performance or gas mileage? Thanks for any input and sorry if this is kinda silly! I'm just looking for some answers and help! Thanks!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Check the shift cable for proper adjustment.

Oil in the plug tubes? Is so get the tube seals replaced.

Get a new set of wires and plugs and go from there.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and put a new transmission in the car as well as some other thing while I had the motor out (Water pump, timing belt, oil pan) I changed the oil and what not as well. I'm still having transmission problems and as for the spark plug issues I just ordered new spark plugs and spark plug wires so they should be here soon. I got a used transmission for $150 from a local transmission shop so its not a huge deal it doesnt work but I'm still frustrated. When my Father looked at the shifter cable he said nothing was wrong. Could the shifter cable be the reason I'm having transmission issues or did I just get a crab transmission?