Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Transmission Stuck in 5th Gear (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/transmission-stuck-5th-gear-54657/)

Jessab 05-05-2013 12:20 AM

Transmission Stuck in 5th Gear

Hello All,

I am having tranny issues. My 91 honda accord EX/MT. I was driving on the freeway and the car locked up. The tranny is stuck in 5th gear. It will not move with the car on or off. I have had it towed home. I thought it was the throw out bearing. I am not so sure now. I pulled the tranny. Everything looks fine. The throw out bearing looked okay. The clutch looked okay. I was wondering did the tranny go bad. I don't want to waste time removing the clutch and it is not that. Please assist. Thanks.

poorman212 05-05-2013 09:38 AM

Sounds like something inside the trans. Since you have the trans out, can you move the shift linkage on the trans?

Jessab 05-05-2013 10:56 AM

No! I tried to move and it will not move. Does it suppose to move?

poorman212 05-05-2013 12:15 PM

Sounds like time to dive into the trans or find a used one.

redred7139 05-06-2013 01:17 PM

Had the same issue with my old G35. Pulled up to a parking spot on a hill and threw it in second to park. Came back out and shifter wouldn't budge out of gear. Turned out to be a broken shift fork.

Jessab 05-07-2013 10:10 PM

Do the shifter lever on the tranny suppose to move?

JimBlake 05-08-2013 05:25 PM

There's 2 levers on the transmission; one corresponds to the fore-aft movement of the stick, the other corresponds to the side-to-side movement. You have to coordinate the 2 properly, just like you can't move the stick in any random direction you have to move it in the "H" pattern.

Jessab 05-08-2013 07:49 PM

Thanks JimBlake,

I will try it again. One that has the rubber boot on it moves a little bit when I try to move the other one. It just move in and out of the boot, not much though. I just don't want to change the clutch to find that it is the tranny. That thing is heavy. I will try again to move it in a "h" pattern. Which one moves in the "H" pattern?

JimBlake 05-09-2013 08:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hope I remember this right...?

The #9 lever corresponds to moving the shift lever front-to-back. So that's the one that "should" be able to move.

The #5 lever corresponds to moving the shift lever side-to-side. So it should only be able to move when the #9 lever is in it's middle position (neutral).

Imagine the shift lever in your car. You can't go DIRECTLY from 1st to 3rd by moving the lever sideways. You have to move the shift lever back to neutral, then move it sideways, THEN push it forwards into 3rd.

Anyways, I'm describing how it SHOULD work. If the interlock (inside the box) is broken somehow, then it won't behave like I said.

Jessab 05-14-2013 01:52 PM

Hello JimBlake,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to move the shift lever by hand and it will not move. Do I need to move it with a screwdriver? Thanks for you help.