General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Stuck in 5th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Exclamation Transmission Stuck in 5th Gear

Hello All,

I am having tranny issues. My 91 honda accord EX/MT. I was driving on the freeway and the car locked up. The tranny is stuck in 5th gear. It will not move with the car on or off. I have had it towed home. I thought it was the throw out bearing. I am not so sure now. I pulled the tranny. Everything looks fine. The throw out bearing looked okay. The clutch looked okay. I was wondering did the tranny go bad. I don't want to waste time removing the clutch and it is not that. Please assist. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like something inside the trans. Since you have the trans out, can you move the shift linkage on the trans?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:56 AM

No! I tried to move and it will not move. Does it suppose to move?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like time to dive into the trans or find a used one.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Had the same issue with my old G35. Pulled up to a parking spot on a hill and threw it in second to park. Came back out and shifter wouldn't budge out of gear. Turned out to be a broken shift fork.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM

Do the shifter lever on the tranny suppose to move?

Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

There's 2 levers on the transmission; one corresponds to the fore-aft movement of the stick, the other corresponds to the side-to-side movement. You have to coordinate the 2 properly, just like you can't move the stick in any random direction you have to move it in the "H" pattern.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Thanks JimBlake,

I will try it again. One that has the rubber boot on it moves a little bit when I try to move the other one. It just move in and out of the boot, not much though. I just don't want to change the clutch to find that it is the tranny. That thing is heavy. I will try again to move it in a "h" pattern. Which one moves in the "H" pattern?

Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hope I remember this right...?

The #9 lever corresponds to moving the shift lever front-to-back. So that's the one that "should" be able to move.

The #5 lever corresponds to moving the shift lever side-to-side. So it should only be able to move when the #9 lever is in it's middle position (neutral).

Imagine the shift lever in your car. You can't go DIRECTLY from 1st to 3rd by moving the lever sideways. You have to move the shift lever back to neutral, then move it sideways, THEN push it forwards into 3rd.

Anyways, I'm describing how it SHOULD work. If the interlock (inside the box) is broken somehow, then it won't behave like I said.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Stuck in 5th Gear-1991-shift-arms.jpg  

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-09-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Hello JimBlake,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to move the shift lever by hand and it will not move. Do I need to move it with a screwdriver? Thanks for you help.

Quick Reply: Transmission Stuck in 5th Gear