General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
seanclearwater
Unregistered
Default Transmission swap

Hey Folks,
I just scored a mint condition 1988 LX Accord Coupe (no exaggeration, it was my elderly aunts and it looks like it was driven off the showroom floor) for free and am now pondering a transmission swap. It currently has an automatic, and I would like to swap in a 5-speed. Basically, any information would be helpful. Mainly, I would like to know what years and models could I get a transmission from, and what parts would I need in addition to the tranny itself? If anyone has done this and would like to share their experiences, that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Sean Clearwater
seanclearwater@yahoo.com

Old 10-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Default RE: Transmission swap

I'm sure it can be done but that is a huge job and not for anyone with less than MAJOR mechanical/electrical skills. The cost of the work itself may exceed the worth of the entire car. Congratulations on the great score!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 PM
seanclearwater
Unregistered
Default RE: Transmission swap

I've done my share of transmission and engine swaps in the past. I don't plan on paying anyone to do this for me. I've got the tools and an engine hoist. Basically, I was hoping someone had done this beforehand that could give me some helpful tips. The biggest concern I have is getting all the parts necessary to make the clutch and shifter linkages work. I have by no means decided for sure to do this yet, I am just feeling the idea out to see how much work it would be on this vehicle. Also, if anyone knows of if transmissions from other models/years would work other than the 3rd gen accord, that would be helpful information for me.