General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

is it true that your battery gets worn down when you use jumper cables?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Default is it true that your battery gets worn down when you use jumper cables?

something told me that if you help someone else jump their car with cables, it hurts the life of your battery.
is this true?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: is it true that your battery gets worn down when you use jumper cables?

I don't think so. I have the engine running when I jump-start someone, so it's not using the battery so much as using the alternator.

It's safest to jump-start someone with a smaller car than yours. But I've broken that rule many times & usually my batteries last rather long.

Several things hurt battery life...
- Letting the water level get low (uncovering plates is BAD)
- Excessive high-temperature (idling)
- Deep discharges (deep enough so it won't start)
- Too-rapid charging
- Overcharging (like if your voltage-regulator fails)

Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Default RE: is it true that your battery gets worn down when you use jumper cables?

Any use of the battery wears it. Jumping another car uses about what it would to start your own car. So the statements is technically correct but insignificant.
I would recommend turning off your car when jumping another car in case the dead car has serious electrical issues (potentially damaging your alternator circuitry)

Old 03-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well the concept of the damage mainly comes from the fact that you're creating a fairly-closed circuit between the two cars/batteries, which is NEVER good for a power source...

it's mostly understood to damage the weaker of the two batteries though, and definitely your alternator.

i try to jump as little as possible, mostly cuz I don't want to risk anything... they sell those little jumpers for like 20 bucks i think for emergency packs.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM

yeah, my brother bought one from a toyota dealership.
it's great!, but extra weight in the car

Old 03-21-2008, 11:28 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I have heard that jumping can hurt alarm systems.
Any truth to that?

Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: brayner

Any use of the battery wears it. Jumping another car uses about what it would to start your own car. So the statements is technically correct but insignificant.
I would recommend turning off your car when jumping another car in case the dead car has serious electrical issues (potentially damaging your alternator circuitry)
Turning off your car might not protect it. Much of your alternator circuitry is still connected when the engine's not running.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:10 AM

I would never try to jump someone else's car with my car turned off. Likely you will drain your own battery immediately, then you will have 2 dead cars instead of one.
I don't think it will hurt your battery.
When i drove my 91 Mustang I jumped people off all the time. of course, that is a much bigger engine and I doubt I ever jumped anyone off that had an engine any larger than mine, but the same concept applies. If your car is running and the alternator is functioning properly, the alternator will be constantly charging your battery. therefore i don't see any reason jumping someone else off would shorten your battery life. I buy batteries that have lifetime warranties anyway. So if it ever goes dead, it is replaced for free.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

I would never try to jump someone else's car with my car turned off. Likely you will drain your own battery immediately, then you will have 2 dead cars instead of one.
I don't think it will hurt your battery.
When i drove my 91 Mustang I jumped people off all the time. of course, that is a much bigger engine and I doubt I ever jumped anyone off that had an engine any larger than mine, but the same concept applies. If your car is running and the alternator is functioning properly, the alternator will be constantly charging your battery. therefore i don't see any reason jumping someone else off would shorten your battery life. I buy batteries that have lifetime warranties anyway. So if it ever goes dead, it is replaced for free.
which brand gives a lifetime warranty?
i was thinking about getting an optima battery or possible a braile one (carbon fiber!)

Old 03-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Duralast at AutoZone is cheap and they give a lifetime warranty. Optima=waste of money IMO

Quick Reply: is it true that your battery gets worn down when you use jumper cables?