General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

turn signals & hazards not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
wsbowen03
Unregistered
Default turn signals & hazards not working

96 Accord LX, hazards don't work at all (just get the loud buzzing from the relay) and turn signals usually work once per drive, then give me the same buzzing. I've read multiple posts in this thread and found nothing that makes any sense in my case besides maybe the excess dielectric grease needing to be wiped out of the turn signal switch. I've checked all of the fuses that seem to be related to the flashers/turn signals (the numbers escape me at the moment), and none of them were bad. I've replaced the flasher relay (the three-pronged relay above the under-dash fusebox, I think the middle one) but it didn't change a thing. Only problem there is that I went for the $10 from a parts store instead of the $25 Honda wanted, and I'm not sure it was the exact one I should have used.
At first after I replaced the relay, the hazards worked (for maybe a day or so) and while they were working I made sure all four turn signal bulbs were working. Also, the same problem happened last winter (07-08) and went away with the warm weather. Could this be some old grease clotting up and jamming or shorting the switch each time after the first?
Any other brilliant ideas as to what might be happening?
Longing for the old days when two of us could crawl into the engine compartment and work on things...
TIA!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

There are some electrical tests that you can try on that fuse box.

In the DIY section, the Online Manuals thread has a link to spoon honda site. That site has a 94 shop manual that you can download.

Page 23-218 shows the tests on the 3 pins for the hazard relay. That might help narrow down the source of the problem.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
wsbowen03
Unregistered
Default thanks PAHonda...

I'm sure that will help at least narrow it down. The signals worked almost all of the way home from work yesterday, coincidentally until after I went over a rough spot in the road. I was just trying to avoid the humbling experience of trying to perform those electrical tests myself. There's a good reason why I'm not an auto mechanic by trade.
Will try to remember to post the results.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:52 PM
wsbowen03
Unregistered
Default manual downloaded... KE, KG, KH???

OK, I've got the 94 manual downloaded and cannot for the life of me find where it says anything about what KE, KG, & KH models mean. I figure they have something to do with whether it's LX or EX but it's not very helpful without that ~minor~ piece of info.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

kh matches my shop manual's wiring diagrams.