General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Turning the wheel left or right

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Default Turning the wheel left or right

When I turn in my 98 Accord EX v6, it makes this strange groaning sound, and its been getting worse as of late. When I turn slightly left or right, the steering wheel seems to have more slack than before so I'm guessing I need an alignment. I noticed this problem after we got some real bad rain out here in NY.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Check the ps res for "foaming" when doing this. If there is foam or bubbles then air is getting into the system.......then the 1m question is from where. If it was a 7th gen then the o-ring on the ps pump would be the bet. Drawing a blank right now on the 6th gen v6?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM

I tried turning the wheel when the car was on, but parked. I didn't notice any bubbling or foaming in my power steering fluid. I did however upload a video so you all can see for yourselves whats going on here. The first video was shot early on in the day, when smoke wasn't pouring out that much. At night in the 2nd video, the car had smoke coming out as if the car was overheating. What could it be?

Also, someone working on there car in front of us said that one of my hoses was leaking, maybe freon, onto the hot engine and thats what the smoke was.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Check the power steering fluid level. You may have a leak at the power steering pressure hose and/or the steering rack and pinion.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 PM

Well it turns out what I thought was my power steering fluid was really my brake fluid, and my ps fluid was a little low. Regardless, I had a leak in my house. I'm going to need a new "highside power steering pressure hose" as I remember my friend told me. The fluid was actually dripping from the hose and hitting my manifold which evaporated and burned it.

I got some Lucas power steering fluid with sealant in it (thick red liquid) that when added to my power steering tank stopped the groaning when I turned the wheel right to left. Now it doesn't make as much noise and doesn't resist, it turns loose. Still need an alignment and a new hose though. Is there a database or search engine where I can search for parts the cheapest?

Old 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

You can check with some of the sponsors of this site and go from there.....

Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Maybe I made a mistake, but I didn't find any parts for sale by advertisement on this site other than for air filters and other accessories. Please correct me if i'm wrong though, if the price is right I'd have no problem buying from a sponsor of this site.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Here is one: 1998 Honda Accord Ex Power Steering Pressure Line Hose Assembly 6 Cyl.3.0L - TheAutoPartsShop

Or you can try something local, just like to try to support those that support us

Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

There's also Rockauto and their discount code:

1998 HONDA ACCORD Power Steering Pressure Hose

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-2012-a-48651/

Rockauto sells both Edelmann and Gates. The Edelmann is available with private label package or regular inventory, with a $10 difference.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks redbull, don't know how or why I forgot all about rockauto........hammer for me once again

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Turning the wheel left or right