General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two keys. One for ignition, one for the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Default Two keys. One for ignition, one for the trunk

I recently purchased a 1995 Honda Accord. It came with two keys. Both work for opening the doors. One works in the ignition, but not to open the trunk. The other opens the trunk, but doesn't start the car.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

The lock that uses a different key than the rest was changed for some reason. The lock could have been broken due to attempted theft, accident, etc.

A locksmith should be able to change the tumblers in the different lock to match the rest of your car.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Are they different colors (black & grey)?

Grey is a valet key, it's not supposed to work in the trunk, or in the lever at the floor for locking the trunk-release.

Black is SUPPOSED to work everywhere. When you say it doesn't start the car, do you mean it doesn't twist in the lock cylinder? Or you mean the engine cranks but doesn't start?

What's confusing to me is they both work to open the doors. That shouldn't be if one lock-cylinder was replaced because of damage.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator

There is something strange about that..I would make a new key that works both of the intendeds and throw away the one that dont do such..

Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 AM

They are both black keys, but they have different shapes.

The key with the thinner end, does not turn the lock cylinder in the ignition. The thicker ended key doesn't open the trunk.

Last edited by toppy42; 10-29-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 AM

sorry, I dont mean to hijack the thread.
But I have the same issue.
My car came with two keys, both black.
One key opens all the doors, and trunk. But not the ignition.
I am sure the previous owner changed just the ignition key because of a theft.
What are things that I will have to change if I want to use just one key and how much approximately will it cost? Will I have to change the whole ignition module? Because changing all the other locks will be much more expensive I believe.
Thanks in advance

Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator
Smile

Originally Posted by toppy42
They are both black keys, but they have different shapes.

The key with the thinner end, does not turn the lock cylinder in the ignition. The thicker ended key doesn't open the trunk.

So Toppy, I would use my suggestion and that's all I can say to you about it..

Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Toppy- So you have a key that works in the doors and ign, but will not open the trunk...what about the trunk lock inside the car? I'd get a new trunk lock "coded" to work with that key-locksmith, maybe dealer. Make copies...throw away the other key.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:57 AM

On the same kind of issue I have, what would be the possible solution?
I have 2 keys. One for ignition and the other for all the other places.
The car was stolen once so the previous owner changed the ignition key.
So the new key works only on ignition and the old key works everywhere else but the ignition.
It doesnt bother me much to use 2 keys, but sometimes my friends take the car and they find it cumbersome. Moreover, I am worried, they might break the key trying to use it on the wrong hole.
How much would it cost me to re-key the ignition with the old key (if possible)?
Or is there any other way to use a single key without changing all the locks in the car?
Thanks

Old 10-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trijoon - you need to talk with a locksmith. He should be able to re-key the ignition cylinder to work with your original key (same key as doors & trunk). I don't know what it'll cost.

Toppy, your situation is just STRANGE. The keys (photos) appear to have different codes. I would not expect both keys to open the doors. Maybe something's just worn & sloppy in the door cylinders?

Quick Reply: Two keys. One for ignition, one for the trunk