General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Two lighting problems. Blinker and third light

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Two lighting problems. Blinker and third light

The first problem is with the blinkers. The right blinker is very dim. I just replaced both blinkers so it isn't burnt out. I have read that it could be a bad ground. If so, where exactly is the ground and how can I fix it?

Second, my third brake light isn't working. Is there any way to fix the led light? Can I test it to make sure that the light is at fault and not the wire?
Thanks.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Help yourself by advising what year/trim Accord you have.

The 3rd light is not an LED in most installations I've seen. Only LED's are in the rear spoiler.

What do you mean by "blinker"; brake/turn signal lamp or flasher under the dash?

For help you need to provide complete information.

Ground wire is in trunk usually near LH lamp assy.

good luck

Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

It is a 2003 honda accord coupe v6 3.0L. And yes, I am talking about the rear spoiler light that is not working. Sorry. And for the other light it's the front right turn signal. It is extremely dim but the left turn signal is fine.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Read carefully and respond. Did you replace both front turn signal lamps?

If yes, then start w/ swapping lamps or replacing dim lamp. This will rule out a faulty bulb. Make sure lamp contacts are clean (use rubber eraser to polish).

I did find a LED replacement on ebay.

Fit 88 12 Honda Accord 44" Small LED ABS Trunk Lip Spoiler OE Style PU | eBay

Removal is tricky if same as my 94 EX. I would have left mine off but for the mounting holes. My LED's are out also.

good luck

Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

1. The front right turn signal ground is G201, located behind the right side of the front bumper.

2. For the rear spoiler brake light (LED), conduct a visual check of the wiring harness and connections first. The spoiler wire harness runs from the vehicle wire harness (near where the high mount brake light connector was) into the left side of the trunk lid (refer the image in Step 21 and Step 23 and others in this installation instructions).

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/03-2drwing.pdf

If you have a multimeter, disconnect the 2-P connector (refer to image in Step 21) and test for power on the vehicle harness (not the spoiler harness side). You can have someone step on the brake pedal or place something on the brake pedal, while you check for power to that 2-P connector.

To test the LED spoiler side of the harness, with a multimeter, switch the multimeter to the diode symbol (the multimeter will show OL or OPEN). You can test at spoiler side of the 2-P connector and/or where it goes into the trunk lid (image at Step 27). Connect the multimeter red lead to the Wht/Blk wire and the multimeter black lead to the Blk wire on the spoiler side harness. For a functional LED, the reading on the multimeter should change from OL or OPEN to some value. If it doesn't it can be a problem with the spoiler wire harness or LED.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I checked out the turn signal lights on the front again and the left turn signal shines when the headlights are on, however, it does not blink when I push the turn signal to the on position. The right turn signal is also on when I put the headlights on but extremely dim. Also, when I push the hazard lights on, the right turn signal blinks very dim while the left turn signal stays bright and does not blink at all. The right turn signal is dim when the head lights are on and is dim when I put the turn signal/hazard lights on.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Possible faulty turn signal/hazard relay. See this thread for location:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...gnition-51797/

Old 02-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is there any way to tell if the relay is bad? Will it fix the right turn signal(dim one) if I get a relay for the left turn signal? Also I tested the ledspoiler light connector and it doesn't seems like any power is going through the wire when I push the brake.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

There is no test listed for that relay (which has 6 terminals). The only test listed is for inputs at the fuse/relay box.

The turn signal/hazard relay is only one relay and operates both side turn signals. From your description, it sounds a lot like a faulty relay.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

If the relay was bad, would both sides not work at all? Because the right one blinks but is a dim light.

Quick Reply: Two lighting problems. Blinker and third light