General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unlocking 1998 Accord with the key sets off alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Default unlocking 1998 Accord with the key sets off alarm

Hello, everyone i'm new. Anyway, I got a used 1998 Honda Accord as my first car, and whenever I try to unlock the door with the key, the security system goes off. It seems that I can only use the transmitter to "disarm" the system. Is there a way to set the system so that I can unlock the doors using just the key without setting off the alarm? I read in the security system manual about the valet mode, but it said that the security system control center thing has a switch on it that had to be set to "Auto" or "autolock", as opposed to "manual", which i'm guessing it's in now. Would that be something that I can do myself? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Unless the security system is off, I don't believe you can unlock the car with the key without it going off.

From my understanding, valet mode would be automatic arming of the security system. In manual mode, there would be no automatic arming. But, you have to refer to your security owner's manual for exact explanations.

The security module is usually installed under the driver's under dash panel. See link for installation instructions, etc.:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/acc...rdsecurity.pdf

Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 PM

I found that if I manually push the locking tab down instead of locking it with the transmitter it is locked without arming the security system. It's not the best, because it would mean the system wouldn't be on, but it works in case i lose the transmitter or something.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah the alarm system arms every time you use the transmitter to lock the doors and only disarms when you use the transmitter to unlock the doors. Why don't you like using the transmitter? I find it so much more convenient than using the key.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Aftermarket alarm system??

I used to have a 1998 Accord EX with factory alarm. I could use the key or the remote, and it didn't set off the alarm.

If I locked the car with the windows open, I could set off the alarm by reaching in through the window to open the door.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 AM

It's not that I don't want to use the transmitter, it's just that I want to be able to use the key as a backup if i lose or break the transmitter or whatever. If I unlocked it with the key and set off the alarm, would turning the car on turn off the alarm?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by smmSTV
It's not that I don't want to use the transmitter, it's just that I want to be able to use the key as a backup if i lose or break the transmitter or whatever. If I unlocked it with the key and set off the alarm, would turning the car on turn off the alarm?
Even if you lost your key, you can disarm the Honda accessory security system. As shown in the instructions I posted above, there is a disarm switch. Generally, it is located on the same under dash cover where they may have installed the security module. You would press the disarm button, then turn the ignition to ON to turn of the alarm.

Many aftermarket security systems also have a reset/disarm button/switch. The switch is sometimes located on the under dash panel or located elsewhere like near the hood release area.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

So is this Honda accessory alarm different from the factory alarm on the EX? There was no "disarm" button that I knew about.

Does the car have a little red LED near the driver's door lock-pin that flashes when it's locked?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
So is this Honda accessory alarm different from the factory alarm on the EX? There was no "disarm" button that I knew about.

Does the car have a little red LED near the driver's door lock-pin that flashes when it's locked?
The Honda accessory security system instructions I linked is different than the EX factory alarm. The one I linked is for other trim levels and not for the EX.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Then I guess we need to know which kind the OP has. I didn't realize they were different.

Quick Reply: unlocking 1998 Accord with the key sets off alarm