General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

::UPDATED:: Crankshaft Bolt Snapped ( IS NOW 100% FIXED THANKS FELLAS!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Default ::UPDATED:: Crankshaft Bolt Snapped ( IS NOW 100% FIXED THANKS FELLAS!!!)

i kno i'm not active on here, thats because i never have any problems with my honda lol..

i have a 95 Honda Accord LX 2.2L 4cyl. only 74K miles....

but today i was driving about 30 MPH down a neighborhood and all the sudden i hear a loud CLANK sound and the power steering gives out... so from there i kinda figured what it was.. stopped the car and found the huge bolt.... so thats when i figured the bolt goes to the crankshaft because the belts were loose...

took it to the shop just running on battery power... the mechanic is a close friend and he said he is going to try his best to get the thread out..... if so all i need is a new bolt... if he cant he said i need a new crankshaft and it would be cheaper to just buy a used engine...

so what is my luck on this? and is he right about the used engine? if any of you guys had this problem before i am all ears on trying to get it fixed... thanx in advance

Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Default RE: Crankshaft Bolt Snapped ( my very 1st problem)

oh and when i asked him about it, he said i happens to a lot of cars... so i'm like how the hell is a bolt that damn thick gonna just snap? dont kno wwhat could of caused it

Old 02-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

I'd expect that he'll be able to get the bolt out. For one thing, it's a hardened bolt, and once thatbugger is loose, it normally spins pretty nice to remove. Usually...

It's also fairly big in diameter, so there's room to either drill ahole for an EZOut, or use a dremel to cut a slot then use a screwdriver.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:05 AM

well that sounds good to me.. he's ownedhis own shop for 15 years, and been workin on cars for 20.. so i have trust in him that he can get it out.... but yea i will run that by him if he calls and says he cant get it.. thanx for the reply man appreciate it.. i will be posting up pics of the car soon... i been looking around while waiting on a reply and the personality around is koo.. i'm usually on the rap forums... but if ya curious what the car looks like u can see the pix here

www.myspace.com/jthird and also my music

and if he cant get it ima try it my damn self.. dont have the money for a used engine n STUFF....

EDIT: We appreciate your posting with us but please keep it clean

Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM

I very much doubt that a hole can be drilled in the shaft of the bolt for an easy out.

You might want to try this, though:
ORIGINAL: Tony1M
It is possible that the breaking off of the head of the bolt "broke loose" the threaded shaft inside the crank, somaybe it is possible to remove the broken shaft. Here's what I'd try if I had a welder handy.

1. Remove the crank seal.

2. Obtain a hardened nut whose threaded hole diameteristhe sameasthe diameter of the threaded hole in the crankshaft.

3. Obtain a 3/4"-long piece of thin-wall steel tubing whose OD is very slightly smaller than the ID of the threaded hole in the end of the crank. At one end of the tube taper the thickness of the wall to a point so that the outside of the wall is the tip of the point.

4. Place the "sharpened" end of the tube tightlyagainst the broken surface of the bolt shaft that is inside the crank.

5. Using a thin welding rod, slowly and carefully weld the inside endof the tube to the old threaded shaft and then "backfill" the tube completelywith weld. At this point the weld-filled tubewill hopefullybe protuding from the end of the crankshaft.

4.Make an oversize "washer"out of some protective welding cloth and place it over the tube, against the end of the crank. (This will prevent anything from welding to the crank.)

5. Hangthe newnutover the tube.

6. Nowweld thetube to the inside of the nut by completely filling the space between the hole of the nut and the outside of the tube.Now you've got what is essentially a completebolt, with anew head, with a loosecloth washer between the head of the bolt and the crank.

7.WIth the end of the crankshaftstillpretty hot,put an ice cube on the nut to cool it off rapidly (to get the bolt shaft to perhapsshrink slightly inside the still-hotcrankshaft).

8. Immediately put a socket wrench on the nut and try to turn out the newly-formed bolt. Obviously, try to turnit out using the least amount of torque. If that doesn't work, I'd try avery longburst with a veryweakimpact wrench.Then I'dstep up the force gradually.

If the threaded shaft will not budge and the nut breaks off, forget about that engine.
Pleasereport backwhat happens.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

So the bolt just snapped? Thats is pretty impressive, because the crankshaft bolt is pretty large. Hopefully it just worked itself out.

That bolt takes a lot of force to loosen when people replace their timing belt. Since the bolt snapped, he will be able to take off the crankshaft pulley and have some room to work. He might have to weld a nut on the end and loosen it that way.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Jay 3rd

i kno i'm not active on here, thats because i never have any problems with my honda lol..

i have a 95 Honda Accord LX 2.2L 4cyl. only 74K miles....

but today i was driving about 30 MPH down a neighborhood and all the sudden i hear a loud CLANK sound and the power steering gives out... so from there i kinda figured what it was.. stopped the car and found the huge bolt.... so thats when i figured the bolt goes to the crankshaft because the belts were loose...

took it to the shop just running on battery power... the mechanic is a close friend and he said he is going to try his best to get the thread out..... if so all i need is a new bolt... if he cant he said i need a new crankshaft and it would be cheaper to just buy a used engine...

so what is my luck on this? and is he right about the used engine? if any of you guys had this problem before i am all ears on trying to get it fixed... thanx in advance
Perhaps I'm just a little slow this morning but are you saying that you drove the car to the shop with no bolt retaining the crank pulley?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 PM

ok first shop is a no couldnt drill a hole he said, called up another shop he mentioned about the welding but the tow truck took forever to come and he had to close so i towed it home.. i'm going to buy the kit they sell.... so if i cant get it im going to take it to the guy and have him weld it out....

and yes sir nasty, after the bolt snapped... i stopped parked the car walked back and saw the huge bolt.. like holy(you kno)how did that happen... and drove the car on battery power to the shop.... just made it...

but to me its lookin like ima have to get a used engine... and that JDM Vtech engine sounds good they have online for $775... Thank god for tax returns... i have the normal 2.2L the Vtech should fit perfect though right? heres the Link
http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engine...hc-engine-only
http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engine...ec-engine-only

i really dont want to buy a new engine my is perfectly fine with only 74K on it... but if i have to ones of these would be it..

Old 02-17-2008, 09:55 AM

OK now We Got the Bolt out with the easy out, it just came right out... my guy said the shop tried using a big bit first and saw it wouldnt go through so said F-IT.. well my guy Bought the Easy Out.. ussed a punch to get a little hole started and used the smallest bit and worked up.. the trick is using WD-40 at the same time so u keep the bit lubricated and it doesnt get too hot.. took him 5 minutes....

NOW then people at tghe shop took the pin out the cranshaft and my timimg is all out of waCK...

So does anyone know where online i can find the timing for the timing belt.. i searched the Site but didnt see what i was look for

Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jay 3rd

OK now We Got the Bolt out with the easy out, it just came right out... my guy said the shop tried using a big bit first and saw it wouldnt go through so said F-IT.. well my guy Bought the Easy Out.. ussed a punch to get a little hole started and used the smallest bit and worked up.. the trick is using WD-40 at the same time so u keep the bit lubricated and it doesnt get too hot.. took him 5 minutes....
That sounds like normal good-machining practice...

Ok... Get the upper & lower timing covers off. Inspect the crankshaft - especially the keyway - for damage. Maybe you'll need a new key, but hope the keyway isn't damaged.

So if the crankshaft sprocket (for timing belt) is installed, you'll see a dimple out at the teeth of that sprocket. There's also a little arrow in the front face of the oilpump for lining it up. BUT DON'T LINE IT UP THERE YET. You want to move it DIRECTLY to a point90 degrees away from that mark. Don't turn it through the mark, & don't turn it thru the position 180 degrees away from the mark.

This way all 4 pistons are a mid-stroke. Now you can spin the camshaft all you want without bending any valves.

At this point I would check the valve clearances. You can spin the camshaftaroundas long as the crank stays 90 degrees away from it's mark. Any valves that are already bent will have excessive large clearance. If you find that, go ahead & take off the head.

Repair or replace the head if needed.

Now look at the camshaft sprocket. There's an arrow saying UP - turn that up. Now look for 2 dimples out at the teeth of that sprocket. Line them up with the top of the head or the top of the inner timing cover. The arrow is only approximate - the dimples are the real timing marks.

With the camshaft at it's proper position, rotate the crankshaftdirectly to it's mark. Not around the other way, DIRECTLY - even if you have to spin it backwards.

Now you caninstall the belt. Check the marks again to make sure they're still lined up OK.

Quick Reply: ::UPDATED:: Crankshaft Bolt Snapped ( IS NOW 100% FIXED THANKS FELLAS!!!)