General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Opinion Required

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Default Urgent Opinion Required

Sorry to start the thread in general tech help but i have only today (USA) time to get the opinion

Looking for a decent car to buy and found a good one in reasonable price

2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury MY06 5 SP Auto Trans 2.4Lit 4 Cylinder

Clock is hitting 150 KM

one owner with logbook service history

What should i check in the car engine, transmission and suspension wise
any specific information about this model?
Please put ur though in urgent basis, thanks

Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Not sure but think Accord Euro is same as US TSX model. I have a 06 TSX that has performed well w/ over 150K miles on odo. Good car and engine.

Things to check:

1) Oil for evidence of coolant contamination (bad head gasket).
2) Check obd2 system for evidence of resets (incomplete systems checks).
3) Perform a cold start to check for noise due to damaged VTC (grinding sound on cold start, check youtube for videos on subject).
4) Check ATF for evidence of overheating (towing, abuse).
5) Check body for evidence of repairs (dissimilar body color, uneven panel alignment, etc.
6) See youtube channel Schrodingers Box for video on used car pre-purchase inspections. S

I always purchase a Used Car Inspection by a reputable inspection service. This provides a good baseline and should include most of above points. I've generally found this inspection pays for itself w/ items to be "adjusted".

good luck

Old 11-06-2015, 11:19 AM

I echo TexasHonda, take it to a garage that you trust and have them do a pre-purchase inspection. They know what to look for, and it's worth the money.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys
Should there be any engine leak? Any common weak spot on this model?

Old 11-06-2015, 03:23 PM

Engine and trans are sound w/ few problems.

Starters and alternators don't seem to last as long as previous honda/acura parts, but parts are reasonable and replacement simple.

VTC problems are not common but do occur, hence the warning to perform a cold start to check for abnormal grinding noise. VTC ius expensive to repair.

good luck

Old 11-07-2015, 03:18 PM

Thanks Texas

I bought the car, engine and transmission wise good but has a leaky Power Steering Pump

I did rebuild my Accord 95 PS pump before and its easy. considering doing same for this one as well, i am sure i would not get rebuild kit from here.

I have to buy it from Ebay and parts would come from USA, but for almost same price of rebuild kit i could get a brand new pump from USA

How good these aftermarket pumps are? shall i buy brand new after market one or try rebuilding OEM one?

Old 11-07-2015, 03:51 PM

A good aftermarket is likely as good as diy rebuild. "You pick"

good luck

Old 11-08-2015, 02:26 AM

Intermittent battery sign on dash comes on during drive

experienced it couple of time on sudden brake on low speed

checked battery voltage ok, check alternator supplying good charging voltage

still alternator?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Battery light comes on when current flow is out of battery (discharge). This usually results form low alternator voltage. Many reasons for low alternator voltage; faulty rectifier, faulty regulator, faulty field winding.

Discharge can also be caused by low alternator speed. This can happen when harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley outer rim (pulley) slips due to failed rubber layer.

Suggest putting maximum load (headlights, blower, defrost elements, etc on the alternator to see if discharge occurs. If nothing, either fault is intermittent, or pehaps fault is due to loose or poor battery/wiring connection.

good luck

Old 11-09-2015, 10:51 PM

decided to do some service of the car and in the meantime check the battery

with full load car doesnt blink battery dash light, its only on low speed or braking or idling, what to do, someone said regulator, shall i?

with my previous car (1995) F22B engine, i did a valve adjustment job, with this model K24A engine is the valve adjustment required, Odo is 150K if needed this would be the best time to do it by dealer

Quick Reply: Urgent Opinion Required