General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Used cylinder head vs. valve job on the old head

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 PM
82009_honda
Unregistered
Default Used cylinder head vs. valve job on the old head

For those who have gone through the headache of a broken timing belt, I need you to chime in. My son's 94 Accord LX 2.2 F22B2 snapped a timing belt. I just got done pulling the cylinder head and observed some of the valves that remain open from being bent. So I have two options: replace damaged valves or look for a used replacement head. If I go with the former option, should I have a machine shop look the head over and do all of the recondition all of the valves, seats, guides, etc.?

If I go with the latter option, do you recommend that the used head is inspected by a machine shop? If so, it seems to me that the first option makes more sense given the extra cost of the machine shop inspection. I'd really like to hear from those who have gone through this process. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

silly question ,,, you did remove the rocker arm assembly correct ???

If valves are bent,, a couple of scenarios for you....

If you go with a used head , i would still take it to a machine shop and have it checked out and do a valve job while head is off
depending on how many valves are bent , it might be cheaper to replace valves and do a valve job , and i have rarely seen guides break and or crack although i have seen it happen a couple of times ,, i guess the machine shop would have to assess that..

You might want to compare the cost for both and do whatever is cheaper ,, but i would not just get a used head and just install it without doing a valve job .

Oh , and by the way i moved this from the DIY section ,,we are trying to keep that section as a read only section ( available infos ) already written up ....or if a member has a DIY write up that we can post there ,,
if a member needs help they can ask in the GENERAL TECH HELP ,,,

Last edited by deserthonda; 11-23-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Administrator
Talking

Thanks for moving it Desert, you beat me to the punch..Yea!

Some Xmas Money For You To Buy Something With

Attached Thumbnails Used cylinder head vs. valve job on the old head-100000_face.jpg  
Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 AM
82009_honda
Unregistered

Thanks for the forum education. I'll remember to post my questions in the General Tech Help section. Yes, I removed the rocker arms, camshaft, and exhaust manifold before pulling the head. I removed the head with the intake manifold attached, for I noticed several hard-to-access bolts when it was still bolted to the block. Judging from your recommendations, I should rely on the expertise of a machine shop. I'll contact some local machine shops tomorrow for pricing and timeframe. Hopefully, the cost won't be too steep, as this head came off a '94 Accord that isn't worth much. My 18-year old son drives the car, so I am doing the labor for him. Do most shops try to make a pitch to replace all valves and related components or just the damaged ones?

Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Depends what your long term plans are for the car. If you plan on keeping it for years upon years, splurge for a little extra at the machine shop and get not just the full checkup but have them port it out a bit.

If all you need is a working car to get him through the next few years, all you need is a thorough visual inspection and have the head flattened.

Hint: most drivers you son's age don't end up having the same car in 5 years.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:14 PM
82009_honda
Unregistered
Default Cylinder head repairs after broken timing belt

Here's an update on what had to be done to the cylinder head following the broken timing belt. After removing the head yesterday, I could observe that both exhaust valves on Cylinder No. 1 were slightly open with the rocker arm removed, which is evidence of bent valves. The machine shop verified to me today that both valves are indeed bent and in need of replacement. I also agreed to have the shop pressure test the head in return for its six-month warranty on the valve job. Also, considering that the piston had indeed hit the valves, the successful pressure test provides some mental comfort that the head is still in good condition. The machine shop's price of $10.10 per valve was better than that of retail. So overall, the shop appears to be very fair with regards to pricing. The valve job for a 16-valve head was $155 plus $35 for the pressure test.

What are your thoughts on re-using cylinder head bolts? I have read both pros and cons as to the re-use of such bolts.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

reuse the bolts , no big deal,, make sure that they are clean and apply a bit of oil on them

Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
82009_honda
Unregistered

Nice. I hoping to hear that news on the cylinder head bolts.