General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Japaese 2.3 engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Default Used Japaese 2.3 engines

I need a new 2.3 non V-tech motor. in doing my Internet search I found a bunch of motors for a wide variety of cost,mileage,AorB junkyard grading etc. I came across an outfit in Houston that sells Japanese trade INS. It seems that the EPA restrictions over there make it cheaper to trade your car in with 45K than to do the required upkeep to the old car. So, if anon has heard anything about the Japanese motors or the company AAA Japanese imports,let me know. Thanks

Old 10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'll reply here instead of my user-area. That's better for others who might want the same information.

I don't know anything about that company. That's another reason for asking out here in the forum where more than one person can answer.

Sometimes with JDM engines, you have to use sensors from your old engine, because they can be different.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

is the mileage really as low as they claim ? I have seen a junkyard where every engine had 85,000 miles , the guy was guessing he had no idea how many miles were on the engine

Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Supper Moderator

something you have to realize about JDM engines. They might have low miles but they have been sitting on a shelf for the past 10 years.

If you need any imported engines go with a site that is well trusted like hmotorsonline.com

You can go to ANY honda forum and ppl will tell you to use them over anyone else. The prices are fair and they ship fairly quick too.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Default 2.3 motor

I called hmotors.com and they don't handle the regular 2.3 . They deal with the V-tech only. As to an engine sitting up a while a prelube and cylinder oiling with light oil ought to ease the way. Any other help you guys can offer is much appreciated.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Supper Moderator

that can't be right....I have know a few ppl who have bought h23 NON-vtec engines from them. I also just did a quick search and they DO sell NON-vtec engines.
Are you trying to find a f23 engine? If so I would HIGHLY recommend doing a better engine swap other than the f23. I donno how much your trying to spend but I would either do a h23a ($1200) or the h23 ($950) the f23 engine is nothing to get excited about. If your gonna spend the money on a engine swap don't go with a f23. If you MUST have a 2.3l go with the h23 much much much much better engine. The h22 swap would be the best bet.

my quick seach
hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?keyword=h23&what=search

copy and past^

Old 10-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Supper Moderator

I did another search they sell allot of NON-vtec engines. I think the person you talked to is very undedicated when it comes to the company they work for. Also are you sure you called the right place?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Engine importers like the one you mentioned are really hit or miss.

They "guess" how many miles are on each engine. They honestly have no idea how many miles are on them, as someone pulled them out of a junkyard in japan and shipped them here.

They also don't do any maintenance on them, just sell them as is. So you might get a great one, you might not. The good thing about it being local to you is you can probably check them out ahead of time and its easy to return if there is an issue. Then there is the issue of returning them. A lot of the engine dealers are pretty sketchy and arent too willing to refund money for junk motors they sell.

A lot have a lot of fine print that say things like if it wasnt installed by certified mechanic they wont take a return of it. So if you install it yourself just to find out the head gasket is blown they will tell you to pound sand because you installed it not a mechanic even though if a mechanic had installed it the head gasket would still have been blown.

All that being said I have bought from hmotorsonline and it was a pleasant experience. But I was also buying a JDM VTEC engine so I didn't have much of a choice but to get it from an importer.

Since you are just looking for a replacement engine I would look at local junkyards. They usually know a lot more about the engine, like miles, condition etc. And almost all junkyards offer a 60 or 90 day warranty on used engines. At some you can even hear it run if they haven't pulled it out yet.

That is just my .02 on the situation.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

we have used low miles japanese Engine for the past 15 years and never had a problem,, we use a company form california called japan engine ,, but i am not sure that they would deliver to a residence ,,

you need to reuse a lot of components from your engine,, ( manifolds , sensors etc etc) i would only use the long block,, make sure to replace the timing belt and all the seals , and i mean ALL the seals ( cam, crank, rear main, balancer , oil pan gasket , new manifold gaskets etc etc )

http://www.japanengine.com/contact/

Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Administrator

Good to see you back in the forums Gianni...

Quick Reply: Used Japaese 2.3 engines