General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Default Using jackstands

Stupid question, but.......
Where do ya'll put the jack when jacking the car up to put it on jackstands? I found that if I use anywhere other then the factory jack points that the jack bends the floorpan, but if I use the factory jack points to jack the car up, I don't have anyplace to put the jack stands.

I've been jacking right in front of the factory jack point and then sticking the jack stand under the jack point, but that makes me a bit nervous as it looks to be warping that area in front of the jacking point a bit.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Default RE: Using jackstands

Front and rear center of the car there are jack points. Ahead of the motor and behind the spare tire well, dead center in the middle of the car.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:57 PM

yeah, but where do you put the jack to get the car up enough to get the stands under those points?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

I use the front center jack point to lift, then put stands under the rocker-panel jack points.

Front-center is usually in the crossmember under the radiator, Honda usually marks it with a big arrow or something. Rear is the towing loop under the spare-tire well. Those are shown in the Helm shop manual, but not in the owner's manual. I can only say for certain for the years that I own(ed), so YMMV...

Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

DO NOT USE THE SPARE TIRE JACK IN THE FRONT OR BACK! the car WILL fall over. you MUST use a floor jack.

jack goes in the lift points in the front and back, just ahead of the engine in the front. its the towing hook in the back.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 PM

Well, I guess my problem is my floor jack is too short then. I tried those spots one time (doing brake pads) and the jack didn't get the car up high enough to get the jack stands in there. Oh well, I've been wanting a bigger floor jack anyway......
Thanks!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Good point about the tire-changing jack. Those things topple pretty easy.

I know what you mean about the short jack. I also used that as an excuse to get a better (& taller) jack...

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Good point about the tire-changing jack. Those things topple pretty easy.

I know what you mean about the short jack. I also used that as an excuse to get a better (& taller) jack...
Hi Jim...The very first time I went to use my car jack which was two years after I bought the car...it busted as I was putting it up in theair and the car hit the ground..wasn't a good experience!

WheelBrokerAng

Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM

If I use the front jacking point, my jack only jacks it up high enough to put the jackstands under the jacking points on the sidesat their lowest lever - hardly high enough to get under the car. To solve this problem, I put my floor jack on the frame. If you look under the car and look straight at the jacking point, you should be able to see the frame behind it (towards the middle of the vehicle.)
Soon I'm going to get a set of ramps though. Jacking up both sides is a real PITA just to change the oil.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

x2 on breaking the scossor jack ...... did that changing the tranny fluid!!!!! Now I have a nice cheap 2-ton floor jack that comes in a nice little case and only cost 40 bucks. Only problem is that it's kinda hard to let it down easy since it has a thumb screw for the pressure release. Also, the short handle doesn't stay in very well, but for my needs it's fine.

Quick Reply: Using jackstands