General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Talking V6 timing belt change

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Please follow this link below if your thinking of doing this job yourself..

The link is safe and secure..

WheelBrokerAng

Timing Belt Replacement On Honda/Acura V6 Engines: autocarepro:news

Hi - about to face this, but the hyperlink is broken; might there be a static copy of the How-To available? I've done other brands; my first Honda and would like as many insights as possible...thx

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-19-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

YouTube has several good J35 timing belt videos. Suggest checking out videos by South Main Auto and realfixesrealfast.

good luck

Old 01-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by moapys
Hi - about to face this, but the hyperlink is broken; might there be a static copy of the How-To available? I've done other brands; my first Honda and would like as many insights as possible...thx
If you watch the videos and decide the job isn't for you, many folks have found by shopping around, and even pre-buying the timing belt kit, can keep the overall cost for a shop to do the work to under $800.

If you decide to pre-buy the kit, the Aisin kit is considered by many in the know to be the best one available (it is also uses the OEM parts):

Last edited by shipo; 01-18-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Great - thanks (and I'm about to pull the trigger on a Aisin/OEM combo kit). Also, to my delight, apparently Eric (ericthecarguy.com) has a bolt-by-bolt video - I've followed him for years - that i will pick up for extra details.

Last question - - I have access (~30 mi away) to a lift; so if it added sufficient ease for me to schlep my tools to my pal's pole barn, would that help the thru-wheelwell enough to be worth the bother?

Continued THX!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Just me but anytime I don't have the crawl around on the ground is nice......

I will throw one thing out there, not sure if any videos, how to's do this....... Before you remove the old belt, make marks on it from the belt to the gears - both cams and crank at least. Then once off transfer the marks from the old belt to the new one - count the number of teeth between the marks. So now when the new one goes on those marks on the new belt should line up to the gears. This really helps in being sure you get it back on in the correct spot and nothing moved.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi - about to face...my first Honda [timing belt job] and would like as many insights as possible.
i had the odious delight in doing this job on my 2000 Accord (J30A1), and immediately following, my '05 Ody (J35A6). and since Honda J-series engines live perty near forever, i take pleasure in the knowledge that i'll be performing this onerous, expensive job--twice--again.

you claim prior experience doing this job, so you probably know that a "timing belt job" 1) involves replacing nearly a dozen parts (including the water pump); and 2) it's an extremely involved job regardless of the number of jobs one has completed.

note: i'll update this comment with any add'l "oh, and..." items that come to me after i post this. that said, the following is my two cents...

basic stuff...
- watch more than one video on the process. pay close attention to the subtle differences between techniques. have your go-to video queued up on a tablet or laptop and have that device there with you in your garage.
- buy a good quality torque wrench. you're attaching bunch of fasteners that cannot be over-tightened (aluminum threads). and for the individual torque values, make certain you...
- reference the Honda Service Manual (HSM). use the torque specs in the HSM; if you need one or more specs, post here (or in any of the half-dozen) Honda-centric forums and request that information.
- purchase a Honda Genuine timing belt and tensioner and water pump--seriously, resist aftermarket for these parts.
- keep a journal of your progress; put all smallish parts in labeled zip-lock bags; keep all big components in discrete labeled piles.
- consider replacing other problematic parts. a "timing belt job" requires removing all accessories in the passenger-side engine bay, and disassembling the entire front of the engine. this is a great opportunity to replace other components that may be problematic: front engine mount; oil sending unit gasket; oil pressure switch; and, if warranted in your specific case, the alternator and power steering pump and accessories belt.

more detailed whatnots:
- loosening the camshaft pulley fastener. this is, arguably, the most difficult part of a timing belt job on a Honda. you cannot replace the timing belt until this fastener is removed, so plan on attacking it early in the job. a few videos show removing this bolt with an impact wrench, which i think is absolutely insane. i removed the fastener with leverage, which is the Honda-recommended procedure.
- prepare for the tools required to break the ~181ft/lbs holding the camshaft pulley fastener
- "honda crankshaft pulley removal tool"; some auto supply stores loan this tool for free--get it. the pulley is not coming off without it.
- two stout 1/2" drives (preferably one is a 1/2" breaker bar)
- 18" 1/2" extension bar
- 24" length of 3/4" i.d. black pipe (i.d. must sleeve over the handle of your 1/2" drive)
- 8' length of 3/4" i.d. black pipe (i.d. must sleeve over the handle of your 1/2" drive)
- two jack stands
- poorman212's recommendation to mark the old timing belt is important. don't forget to do this.
- tightening the camshaft pulley fastener to ~181ft/lbs. a few videos (including ETCG) show tightening this bolt with an impact wrench, which i think is absolutely insane. the HSM suggests a procedure to mark the bolt and pulley in degrees, and turn the bolt to the match the marks. i used this method using an 8' lever.

post-job stuff:
- perform a proper air purge of the coolant system. there are plenty of good videos on YouTube that demonstrate the process.
- possible idle hunting issue at engine start-up.
if the idle is high at engine start-up and then cycles up and down, don't panic. this happened to me, and i posted the issue and its resolution here.

I have access (~30 mi away) to a lift...
the timing belt job is done from above, so a lift is superfluous for this particular work. additionally, there needs to be support at the head of the breaker bar and the extension, and a lift isn't going to help here. still, there are techs techs who claim to do this portion of the job on a lift--no doubt using an impact wrench. were it me, i'd take a raincheck on use of the lift--it's good policy not to squander the use of useful tools like that... like when you inevitably need to replace the BX7A transmission in that car!

Last edited by lothian; 10-05-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Default Best Timing Belt Kit

First things first. Be sure to get yourself a quality timing belt kit. This way you won't be making multiple trips to the parts store. We get all of our kits from timingbeltkit.com. Their kits are complete and they use only quality Japanese parts- plus they ship for free.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by lothian
i had the odious delight in doing this job on my 2000 Accord (J30A1), and immediately following, my '05 Ody (J35A6). and since Honda J-series engines live perty near forever, i take pleasure in the knowledge that i'll be performing this onerous, expensive job--twice--again.

you claim prior experience doing this job, so you probably know that a "timing belt job" 1) involves replacing nearly a dozen parts (including the water pump); and 2) it's an extremely involved job regardless of the number of jobs one has completed.

note: i'll update this comment with any add'l "oh, and..." items that come to me after i post this. that said, the following is my two cents...

basic stuff:
- watch more than one video on the process. pay close attention to the subtle differences between techniques. have your go to video queued up on a tablet or laptop and have that device there with you in your garage.
- use the torque specs in the Honda Service Manual (HSM); if you need one or more specs, post here (or in any of the half-dozen) Honda-centric forums and request that information.
- keep a journal of your progress; put all smallish parts in labeled zip-lock bags; keep all big components in discrete labeled piles
- consider replacing other problematic parts. a "timing belt job" requires removing all accessories in the passenger-side engine bay, and disassembling the entire front of the engine. this is a great opportunity to replace other components that may be problematic: front engine mount; oil sending unit gasket; oil pressure switch; and, if warranted in your specific case, the alternator and power steering pump.

more detailed whatnots:
- removing the camshaft pulley fastener. a few videos show removing this bolt with an impact wrench, which i think is absolutely insane. i removed the fastener with leverage, which is the Honda-recommended procedure.
- prepare for the tools required to break the ~181ft/lbs holding the camshaft pulley fastener
- honda cranksshaft pulley removal tool (some auto supply stores loan this tool for free.)
- two stout 1/2" drives (preferably one is a 1/2" breaker bar)
- 18" 1/2" extension bar
- 24" length of 3/4" i.d. black pipe (i.d. must sleeve over the handle of your 1/2" drive)
- 8' length of 3/4" i.d. black pipe (i.d. must sleeve over the handle of your 1/2" drive)
- two jack stands
- poorman212's recommendation to mark the old timing belt is important. don't forget to do this.
- tightening the camshaft pulley fastener to ~181ft/lbs. a few videos (including ETCG) show tightening this bolt with an impact wrench, which i think is absolutely insane. the HSM suggests a procedure to mark the bolt and pulley in degrees, and turn the bolt to the match the marks. i used this method using an 8' lever.

post-job stuff:
- perform a "proper" air puge of the coolant system. there are plenty of good videos on YouTube that demonstrate the process.
- possible idle hunting issue at engine start-up. if the idle is high at engine start-up and then cycles up and down, don't panic. this happened to me, and i posted the issue and its resolution here.

the timing belt job is done from above, so a lift is superfluous for this particular work. additionally, there needs to be support at the head of the breaker bar and the extension, and a lift isn't going to help here. still, there are techs techs who claim to do this portion of the job on a lift--no doubt using an impact wrench. were it me, i'd take a raincheck on use of the lift--it's good policy not to squander the use of useful tools like that.
I'll add that on the 6th gen Accord site, in the Accord tech sticky is a downloadable Honda Factory Service manual. Toward the last page (I think it's on the 2nd to last page has the V6 supplement (it's 312 pages long). That link was good as of last month (12-17). I only mention it, as I don't know if you have 1 or not.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:57 AM

(Cross posted from my feedback on ETG's site)
The job went perfectly (I used the crank-bolt "trifecta"; PBsoak/heat/weighted-impact-socket*). Props to EricTheCarGuy for the triple-check TAUT-front/SLACK-rear; I've done BMW's, but this was more "sneaky"...despite being locked all around when reinstalling, the heads remained spot-on, but the crank 'looked a half-tooth' off: In fact, getting the front of the belt extra taut, allowed me to nudge back the crank - pipewrench with plugs out works great - and DEAD ON. As good as ETG's video <for fee> was, the BundysGarage YouTube was equally as good (...I was happy to support Eric, however, for the few bucks to have a secondary reference...).

A couple of other hints: Get a bazillion wobble and flex extension 1/4" for the 10mm rear t/b covers (a real clearance P.I.T.A.); at least on this Accord, it required micro-fingers. Also, suggest you jot down disassembly order, being mindful of when the engine-mount block occurs. Don't try this after the covers, as its lip lies beneath the covers' seals...oops.

*the reference to the weighted socket (used only with a modest electric impact wrench) was this: To "simulate" the Lisle 'torque-enhancing' socket, I spun on a spool of lead solder to my 19mm impact. This gave it enough oooph to easily take off the nut, when the un-enhanced socket did not. TaDa!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:50 AM

What year is this on? I just did mine on my 97 2.7l -- Along with the water pump, valve seals, new head gaskets, new gaskets all the way around.. pulled engine to do a redo.. Its actually a pretty easy job

Quick Reply: V6 timing belt change