General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Default valve adjustment question

Yeah, I know stupid question. But i'm real noob when it comes to diy. Only work i've done was on a 289 engine and it was only routine maintenance type stuff. So when I do a valve adjustment do I take the spark plugs out? I know I take the wires out, but the plugs? Taking the actual valve cover look simple, but wasn't sure on that the plugs heh.

Also to do tdc on my car would i need to remove the upper timing belt cover? Is that where the marking is? The haynes manual I have is kind of vague. And if so do I need to remove the motor mount? Those two bolts for upper timing belt cover look difficult to get to.

Everything else about the adjustment seems straight forward. Just needed a few things clarified. Thanks guys.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Default RE: valve adjustment question

remove the plugs, also to find TDC you can either remove the upper cover or take a flashlight and rotate the crank (by hand) until you see the #1 piston at the top of it's stroke. Personally I just pull the spark plugs then get a long wooden dowel or screwdriver and set it in the #1 spark plug so I can see it, then turn the crank by using the exposed bolt until the screwdriver or whatever I'm using is at it's top most point...

Not a stupid question either

Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 PM

Thanks Sir. So remove all the spark plugs or just the nbr 1 spark plug for ur method of TDC? If I choose to remove upper timing belt cover, I just line up the white dot with the marker thing? And when you say by hand, that's when I remove the upper timing belt cover just pull on the belt by hand? Thanks man = )

Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 PM

sorry about that... I forgot to clarify *L* It's always the little stuff that I forget.... very important though.... Remove all of the plugs. Also, when I say by hand I'm talking about getting a socket and extension and turning the crank by using the bolt on the bottom pulley (bottom of timing belt...) there is a bolt there and a 19mm socket (guessing on the size) should fit on it so you can rotate the crank to TDC and then the markings on the pulley should line up with the timing marks (if you remove the upper timing belt cover)

Old 01-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

When any cylinder is at TDC the cam lobes will be pointing to 4 'O' clock and 7 'O' clock;
It makes it a lot easier to turn the crank around if the spark plugs are out.
No need to remove the upper timing belt cover, when the crank pulley is at the TDC mark it will either be #1 or #4 and you can tell by the cam lobes. Also there are marks on the back side of the cam pulley that line up with the flat part of the head.
adjust the #1 valves then turn the crank pulley 180 degrees and go adjust #3, turn 180 again and go to #2 or #4 [I forget your order.]

Old 01-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Firing order for all inline 4cyl enginesis 1-3-4-2.

You canremove theupper timing cover without removing the engine mount, but you don't really need to remove the upper cover. If you do, there's one spoke of the sprocket that says "UP" or something like that. Put that spoke up for cylinder #1, 9-oclock for #3, 6-oclock for #4, & 3-oclock for #2.

Only turn the engine in it's normal running direction, which is counterclockwise for that engine viewed from the pulley end. Don't turn by the camshaft, only turn by the crankshaft. With the spark plugs out, you may be able to grab the crank pulley with your hands & turn it. Or use the socket wrench...

Not sure about your 289, but for this engine, the feeler gauge goes inbetween the rocker & the valve stem. Honda traditionally calls for valve lash measured at the valve stem for SOHC engines & measured at the cam lobe for theirDOHC engines. Either way, measure it with the engine completely cold.

edit...
Oh yeah, it's relatively easy to overtighten the valvecover bolts & break them.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there is a write up on our DIY section , step by step instruction......you do not have to remove the plugs either , but it makes it a bit esier to turn the crank
also as it was adviced , no need to remove anything except the valve cover of course,, rotate the crank,, , there is a mark on the crank pulley ( white ) and a mark on the lower timing belt cover , when they line up , engine is on top dead either # 1 or # 4 .. with valve cover off, feel the free play on the rocker arms , depending on the cylinder that is at top dead , all 4 rocker arms will feel loose ,( free play ) , if you try the other rocker arms , only 1 or 2 will feel loose ,

Old 01-03-2007, 05:23 AM

HEY.. MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT MEASURE MENT TOOL FOR YOUR VALVES.. ALOT OF PEOPLE MAKE THE MISTAKE OF USING WRONG MEASUREMENT..

Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the help guys! I did look at the diy on it and my haynes manual and was still a little unsure, bu thanks to your help I feel confident! Thanks again guys.