General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve springs Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM
myaccord93
Unregistered
Default Valve springs Clatter

Im a newbi here, but been looking at tons of post 4 a while. I changed the upper and lower seals on my 93 honda accord 10thAnn, due 2 oil in the spark plug slots. I also did a complete tune up. plugs wires dist.-rotor ect. When i got 2 the part to remove the rocker arm assembly, I stupidly loosend the valve spring bolts. all of them. After i realized what i had done i tighten all of them down. I put every thing together and fired right up! But I her the clatter noise now that was not their at first. Is there away 2 adjust them?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Go to the DIY section & look for a sticky post about shop manuals. Download the one for your car, or near the same year. Valve lash adjustment should be in there.

Each rocker has an adjustment screw with a jam nut. You adjust that to get the proper clearance. But if it's that far off, you might also want to look for something/anything that you may have mis-aligned when putting it all back together.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

After you get the procedure from the book you can use a remote starter to get the engine in position for each adjustment. The procedure is using the marks on the cam sprocket to get the cam lobe in its low point. You can use that to verify you have the cam sprocket in the right position. You adjust the valves to feel a little resistance or friction.
The specs for the valve clearance are in metric on the under hood sticker and in a factory Honda manual make sure you get the right feeler blade.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:05 PM
myaccord93
Unregistered

Im going to give it a shot dis weekend. Ill let yall know how it went! Thanks

Old 10-29-2009, 10:36 PM

When you do the job just be sure you are on the low spot on the cam for the valve you are adjusting. The cam lobe is egg shaped and the low spot is long enough that you can see it. If the marks are correctly lined up for the cylinder you are adjusting all the rockers for that cylinder should be at rest with clearance between valve stem and rocker.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hey Jim Blake...

Ive been following Kris post and tell you what, seems as tho we might have another wrench in the forum..take a look at his post and tell me what you think

Old 10-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Ive been following Kris post and tell you what, seems as tho we might have another wrench in the forum..take a look at his post and tell me what you think
Yeah, he obviously knows what he's talking about - here & other posts.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
After you get the procedure from the book you can use a remote starter to get the engine in position for each adjustment. The procedure is using the marks on the cam sprocket to get the cam lobe in its low point. You can use that to verify you have the cam sprocket in the right position. You adjust the valves to feel a little resistance or friction.
The specs for the valve clearance are in metric on the under hood sticker and in a factory Honda manual make sure you get the right feeler blade.

An easier and safer method is to:

1) Jack the vehicle
2) Put it on axle stands
3) Remove drivers front wheel
4) Remove valve cover
5) Remover upper timing belt cover
6) Grab a 19mm socket, a 1/2 inch ratchet and a very long extension. You can then rotate the crank manualy and with more control to move the cam into position so you can make the adjustments.

Or if it is a manual transmission do steps 4 and 5, put the car in neutral pull the ebrake and rotate the flywheel manually (through the timing access port) with a long flat head screwdriver.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the steering hard-left when you park, then you might be able to get into the wheel well with your socket without lifting the car.

Quick Reply: Valve springs Clatter