General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Tap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Default Valve Tap?

My 02 LX has 105k on it, how much valve tap is normal on one of these motors(4 cyl Vtec) when completely cold? I have some easily heard valve tap when I first start her up cold, this completely goes away in a few minutes when the engine reaches operating temperature. The reason I ask, and I don't want to sound cheap, is because I don't really feel like spending $30 for a valve cover gasket to find out that the valve lash are in spec and this is just a normal characteristic of the engine. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Valve Tap?

you need a valve adjustment. should be around $130 with new tube seal/gaskets set.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:09 PM

Actually I don't have any problem adjusting the valves myself for the price of a valve cover gasket. It's just that I have not had the car that long (my first Honda) and wasn't sure or not if this is normal for a 4cyl vtec motor, I haven't dealt with screw type adjusters in years since just about everything out there now is hydraulic.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:13 PM

It is normal for Hondas to have that tick when cold. Of course within reason. Adjusting the valves is easy and if you don't know when it was done last and your car has 105k miles I would do it, IMO.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

tech line says 'noisy valves are happy valves' The truth is yours sound about normal, the sound goes away as the engine runs because the oil splashes up in the valve cover and helps muffle the noise as well as the rocker arms expand a little to close up the clearance. I'd also suggest that if you don't know the last time they were adjusted, you should do it, or have it done.
Sometimes the clearance on the intakes will tighten up and that can lead to a burnt valve.
Better to be a little loose on the clearance than too tight.
It's a simple job.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:28 AM

if you reside in a coold climate , you might hear slightly more tapping in am till oil gets up in the rockers .. but like it was adviced ,, i would adjust them anyways to make sure, and all you really need is a valve cover gasket 10-11 dollars ,, i would not replace the plug seals at this time unless they leak

Old 11-29-2006, 03:48 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I need to get just the valve cover gasket, most everybody around here wants to sell the whole kit grommets, plug seals and gasket. I don't see any reasont to replace that stuff at this point either.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

If you're worried about the cost of the gasket, just don't get one. Wait & see if it leaks, then get one later - maybe.

When Desert & Dude say you 'need' a gasket, that's from experience as mechanics in a shop or a dealer. They can't have people coming back in with leaky gaskets; that's really bad for business.

When you're doing it yourself, just consider how easy it is to go back out to the garage & replace the VC gasket later if it does decide to leak.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
billysandra
Unregistered

On a 1991 Honda Accord LX 4 door 5 speed what is the valve clearance on the intake and exhaust

Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 AM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

the rocker arms expand a little to close up the clearance.
You know the valve lash gets bigger as the engine heats up right? Alot of people think the opposite.

Quick Reply: Valve Tap?