Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Vehicle Speed Sensor Symptoms (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/vehicle-speed-sensor-symptoms-58859/)

ccookie66 04-19-2014 03:20 PM

Vehicle Speed Sensor Symptoms

Hello. I know I need to replace the VSS, because my speedometer doesn't work half the time, sometimes it shoots up to 100 MPH while in park (idling) and the D4 light will start blinking. This is an off and on problem, but when the speedometer starts acting up and the D4 light starts blinking, the transmission shifts weird. It will down shift and slip and do all kinds of weird things. The car acts like it is running out of gas. It has loss of power and everything. Only while the speedometer stops working, and the D4 light starts blinking. Is it possible that the VSS failure can cause these other symptoms too? What do you guys think? Thanks!

ccookie66 04-19-2014 03:22 PM

Also, I did a quick search on the web, and I found this out:
"One of the most noticeable symptoms of a faulty speed sensor is the odometer or speedometer of the vehicle not working. In some cases, if the speed sensor is damaged, cruise control will also not work. Symptoms may also present themselves within the transmission, and the vehicle may be rough or hesitate when trying to shift gears. The transmission may also jump gears. Some other symptoms can include the vehicle rumbling or not idling correctly. It may also burn more fuel than usual, and it may suddenly lose power."

- Source: Symptoms of a Faulty Speed Sensor and Replacement Instructions - AutoRepair.Answers.com

I am having ALL those symptoms. So I am going to go ahead and change the VSS, and see how the car runs after that.

homey 04-20-2014 07:33 AM

Its an easy fix and probably your issue. Just do the swap over something that you can find that little pin when you drop it. Its just two screws but I dropped the little coupler pin. I bought a cheapo off ebay and it worked for a year and was still going when I sold the car. Next one I replaced I left the coupler in it and just swapped the head. I compared the old and new, the pin stays in the unit and they were the same size. Dont drop the screws and you will be out fast.

Probably just the vss but dont panic yet if it doesnt fix it. Pull the codes from the tcu.Do give the repair a priority because it is not good for the transmission to be run with faulty controls. Ask me how much a transmission rebuild costs on a 90 accord. I know :) Good luck!

jools 06-06-2021 10:03 PM

Well I'm mystified as to where my VSS actually is!
I know where it's supposed to be... perhaps it's hidden beneath that fat air intake tube/hose. Just can't get my eyes on it. I have a new VSS on order, hopefully it'll solve my symptoms (flashing D4 inst. dashboard light, no work speedo, no CruiseCtrl.

jools 08-07-2021 11:29 PM

Any ideas? where is the little *ugger!? Car is my RH Drive '94 (Australian) Accord. I've moved the intake hoses etc out of the way, and all I see down there is the transmission bellhousing and a connector.

jools 08-08-2021 12:12 AM

Worry not! I've found the little beggar!
Now to change it. Fun reaching down there I reckon.

jools 08-08-2021 02:59 AM

Well, caution! Don't try this at home unless you have a LOAD of patience and a whole array of 1/4" ratchet extension and fittings.
I've just spent about 3 hours just to get my VSS off. The first hour was just finding it, yes it's very hard to find and see. Then I got the 'first' 10mm setscrew out pretty easily, but the other one is a pig!
What the Youtube videos don't tell you is that they've already removed a lot of stuff before they start - that's why it looks easy. The thermostat housing is right in the way, along with a few other brackets and bits that get right in the way.
Anyway now I've done it I won't have to lose sleep over it.
I'll be making some sort of jig to aid assembly though that's for sure.

homey 08-08-2021 07:58 AM

Glad you got it taken care of. You should have an assortment of lengths to work on hondas, wait till you get to the timing belt. Next time you have an issue, open a new thread instead of responding to a 7 year old thread and you will find better support. I haven't even owned a Honda for 5 years, now I am a Prius man. Probably bought and fixed 40 since the hondas. Good luck and happy wrenching!

jools 08-08-2021 08:16 PM

It may be an older thread Homey, but adding to an older thread does have the advantage of keeping all the posts on the subject in the one place.

jools 08-27-2021 09:58 PM

Well I changed the little VSS *ugger, -too many painful hours trying to get to the inner mount bolt, -evil job. But it still doesn't work!
Still got a flashing D4 light, no speedo, engine check light on (but that may not be related of course). I suppose it could be a problem in the wiring loom.
Any other ideas?