General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very bad MPG on the highway. 96 accord lx a/t. Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If you drive where there's any salt on the roads, check your fuel lines for possible leaks. They corrode and pinhole w/ exposure to road salt.

Also check the injector/fuel rail oring connections for possible leaks. You can usually smell this leak, but hands on can detect a small leak.

Fuel pressure regulator diaphragm can fail and allow raw fuel to be pulled into engine via vacuum reference line. Pull reference line and smell. If you smell gas, the diaphragm has ruptured.

OTOH, your miles of 26 mpg at 75 mph doesn't sound terrible. I think you earlier results are on high side.

I feel my 94EX (245K miles) is in good shape, and I can get slightly over 30 mpg on straight highway driving only, but closer to 25 mpg for my commute which is 16 miles w-way, w/ about 1/3 street and 2/3 interstate and variable speed. It's been that way for years.

good luck
I have checked all the lines and i dont see any corrosion nor pinholes, i live in california where i really dont see any snow in a year.

I also checked for vacuum leaks via spraying TB fluid on all lines, engine didnt die. I also, always check my engine and smell it after every trip, no smell of burnt oil nor gasoline.

Im thinking maybe it could be the o2 sensor, i know 26mpg is not that bad but if i can get back to 30+mpg with changing my o2 sensor, why not do it,right? )

25-26mpg driving 70-75mph 100% freeway. Is it not that bad?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by hurlingmerlin
AccorDats,

Just calculated mine this morning, and am at 26.9mpg on a 153k mile motor. that's blended city/hwy on a 5sp manual.

As suggested, measure over several tankfuls. Will change from cold temps to warmer temps as well (air density / drag).
I started noticing my drop on mpg when I did a trip to Seattle,WA. Almost 2000mile trip. I did several fill ups and ended with almost the same results. 25-26mpg

Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, 26.9 mpg on a long highway trip with the 4-Cylinder engine? I'm surprised it's that low; heck, even my V6 Accord gets up near (and sometimes over) 30 mpg on long highway trips.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

25-26mpg driving 70-75mph 100% freeway. Is it not that bad?
Low in my experience. I can hit 30mpg @65, 27 @80, and somewhere in between @70 - 75. That's for highway-only driving except for gas stops, and the original F22B2 got the same highway MPG as the swapped F23A1 does now.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Hmmm, 26.9 mpg on a long highway trip with the 4-Cylinder engine? I'm surprised it's that low; heck, even my V6 Accord gets up near (and sometimes over) 30 mpg on long highway trips.
Same here, i think it is low for a 4cyl 5spd manual. Like mine now, 4cyl a/t is doing almost the same. 25-26mpg crusing 70-75mph and light on the throttle. I hope the O2 will really help raise the mpg.

Im surprised because my 530i a/t,which is heavier and have lots of load on the electronics is doing 25-26mpg or sometimes better at the same speed.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AccorDats
Same here, i think it is low for a 4cyl 5spd manual. Like mine now, 4cyl a/t is doing almost the same. 25-26mpg crusing 70-75mph and light on the throttle. I hope the O2 will really help raise the mpg.

Im surprised because my 530i a/t,which is heavier and have lots of load on the electronics is doing 25-26mpg or sometimes better at the same speed.
I had a 2002 530i SP 5-Speed and that silly thing was returning over 30 mpg at speeds in the low to mid seventies. Those cars are amazing balances of power and efficiency.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM

hello HAF.

so I did replace my upstream O2 sensor (denso) a couple days ago before my trip to SoCal, fortunately it resulted in gettig better mpg. I'm now getting 34-35mpg @65mph and 31-32mpg@70mph.

thanks again for the help. if anyone needs help on how to replace upstream o2 sensor on a 94-97 4cyl accord let me know, i would gladly help.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AccorDats
hello HAF.

so I did replace my upstream O2 sensor (denso) a couple days ago before my trip to SoCal, fortunately it resulted in gettig better mpg. I'm now getting 34-35mpg @65mph and 31-32mpg@70mph.

thanks again for the help. if anyone needs help on how to replace upstream o2 sensor on a 94-97 4cyl accord let me know, i would gladly help.
Thanks for posting the update; chalk up one more lazy O2 sensor which didn't throw a code.

I've lost count how many times I've seen a report where a new O2 sensor has helped fuel economy, regardless of vehicle brand or engine. While the above may not be enough to qualify as empirical evidence indicating there's a problem with the OBD-II interface vis-à-vis lazy O2 sensors; the anecodal reports I've read are now so numerous that the possibility must be considered.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by shipo
Thanks for posting the update; chalk up one more lazy O2 sensor which didn't throw a code.

I've lost count how many times I've seen a report where a new O2 sensor has helped fuel economy, regardless of vehicle brand or engine. While the above may not be enough to qualify as empirical evidence indicating there's a problem with the OBD-II interface vis-à-vis lazy O2 sensors; the anecodal reports I've read are now so numerous that the possibility must be considered.
I agree w/ your position. We've seen too many drivability and poor economy fixes from replacing O2 sensor.

regards

Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hmm... my 97 LX A/T had thrown a check engine for a bad cat and bad 02 sensor, I'm wondering if I should swap both 02 sensors.

I average about 27mpg collectively and sometimes 25mpg if it's all city or 28 all highway.

Looks like I will be ordering that upstream O2 sensor from TheAutoPartsShop.com now...

Gotta support the sponsors!

Last edited by Novaknowledgenow; 05-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Very bad MPG on the highway. 96 accord lx a/t. Help