General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very dissapointing mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Default very dissapointing mileage

Hey guys,

I just bought an 2001 4 door, 2.3L. I haven't driven enough to know my exact mileage...but right now I'm looking at less than 20 for combined highway / city. I don't drive the car hard....very rarely over 4k RPM. Any suggestions on possible problems?
Thank you.

2001 Accord
4 Door
2.3L
5 speed.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Default RE: very dissapointing mileage

tune up?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do you have any maintenance records or information? In DIY, deserthonda has a few checklists for maintenance. Also, the manual has a maintenance schedule. My gf has a 2001 LX-ULEV and gets about 400 miles to a tank on the highway before the light comes on. Also, you need to try to use the same gas pump for a few tanks and average 4-5 tanks to find an average milage. Do you let the car warm up for over 30 seconds? Extended idling? Need an alignment? Belts, hoses, plugs, coil, dist. cap, rotor, wires --- all ok?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Thanks guys...new timing and balancing belts. I'll have to check my records to see when the plugs were last done.
Thanks for the help!

01 4 door
2.3L 5 speed.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM

When you say gas pump do you mean the same brand of gas? I think that when you use the same brand your car's fuel system creates a memory in a way, thus better mileage/performance.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Side note: I have a very short drive (1.5 miles) to work and live in Canada...below freezing at night so yes I do let it run for about 5 mins before driving it. I don't want to get to work and shut it down before reaching full operating temp.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:15 PM

Accord: I meant the same exact pump. That way, it cuts off the gas at about the same level.

Mark: Warming it up will cost you in milage. The car only needs about 30 seconds and then to be driven below 3500 rpms until it reaches operating temp. Also, there is no harm in turning the car off before it reaches full temp as long as it is used for longer drives where it can reach the proper temp at least once a week. By longer, I mean around 5-8 miles so it can run warm for a bit for fluid circulation and valves to move positions.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks Falkore,

I was under the impression that condensation would be left in the engine after short trips...the manual call short trips 'severe driving conditions'.
thanks for the tip about the exact same pump....good point. I did forget to mention that car has 225k on it but was well taken care of and the mileage is actual highway as the car was used for an out of town comuter.

Mark

Old 10-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Basically, if you make sure that all maintenance is up to date and you don't have anything that is unnecessary in the car (adding weight) you will maximize the MPG. Your point about condensation would fall into my suggestion about driving slightly longer at least once a week. Easy driving is a much better way to warm up the car than idling. Idling doesn't move the tranny and takes way longer to have any effect. Easy driving will move everything and allow the car to warm up in about 5 minutes.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:03 PM

You have to know the exact miles per gallonover several tanks before you can assume it's good or bad.

Quick Reply: very dissapointing mileage