General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very strange 2004 Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 PM
_livebyhonda_
Unregistered
Question Very strange 2004 Radio Problems

I have this strange problem with my radio/cd, in which it will be working, then hear a loud pop/crack, then no sound. The stereo is still lit up.
Shutting off and on the stereo, restarting the car, does not bring it back.

If I restart the stereo, sometimes after 20 minutes of driving with no sound, I'll hear another pop and restarting might bring the sound back.

Same problem with radio or CD. Nothing was done to the radio to cause this problem.

It sounds like a ground problem, but I'm not sure why it would all of a sudden do this.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sounds like a loose wire is grounding itself and sending the radio into a "protect" mode. Or, even more likely, a ground is loose, causing the radio to intermittently lose power and regain it. There are about 5 grounds in the center of the dash itself and each would needs to be checked, possibly cleaned, and tightened.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 AM

I do have the same problem for a while, can you tell me how I can find the 5 ground wires.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM

I know this thread is rather old, but I have the same exact problem and would like to know if a solution has been found. I do not want to swap out for aftermarket. Thank you!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Have you searched in the audio/visual section.....all I know about radio's is how to turn the volume ****.....but for some reason I think I've read about the units on this gen having issues. Again confirm by searching.

PS-I still drive a car with a tape deck.....and no, I don't have an ipod or smart phone. Once I do decide to upgrade I will read as much as I can, then ask for help.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Yes, I did search and the there is another question on the very same issue, however there is no answer. Additionally, I do not have the resources suggested in that possible repair.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

First, please don't take this the wrong way, if I could help I would.

Again, if you are not sure of DIY then the fix might be hard.

KHA should be able to answer the question.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Default 2004 Accord Radio issues

I have this EXACT same issue happening in my car right now! Can someone tell me how to check this?

Originally Posted by _livebyhonda_
I have this strange problem with my radio/cd, in which it will be working, then hear a loud pop/crack, then no sound. The stereo is still lit up.
Shutting off and on the stereo, restarting the car, does not bring it back.

If I restart the stereo, sometimes after 20 minutes of driving with no sound, I'll hear another pop and restarting might bring the sound back.

Same problem with radio or CD. Nothing was done to the radio to cause this problem.

It sounds like a ground problem, but I'm not sure why it would all of a sudden do this.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:56 AM

Still have the issue, also my cruise control does not work, I have not had the time to check grounds. I think that is where the issue lays.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 AM

I'm having the same issues. It's been going on for about a month. The radio will work at times and then a loud popping sound and it scares the living crap out of me. Sometimes when i turn it back on it will work and sometimes it won't. Very weird.

Did anyone figure out a fix for this?

Quick Reply: Very strange 2004 Radio Problems