General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations............

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Vibrations............

Hi, first post on here, a new member I am! Maybe someone can help me figure this out. I just bought an accord the other day and there is a vibration starting out in second gear. Every other gear is just fine and it only occurs the first 1500 rpms in second gear after shifting from first. Any ideas?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

What year, model, automatic/manual, 4cyl/v6?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh, sorry haha. 1997 accord, 2.2L 4cyl, manual. I should no better its not like this is the first forum im apart of...

Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

I would probably start by changing the transmission fluid. I would suggest using Honda MTF fluid.

You may want to change the spark plugs, since you don't know when they were last changed. Get the NGK zfr5f-11 plugs (copper V-power) that most parts stores carry. Check the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plug wires. Honda OEM wires seem to last forever.

One other thing you may want to do is clean the EGR ports. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link for the 94-97 accords.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Already changed spark plugs, and wires, as well as checked cap and rotor. all look good
I will clean the EGR ports tomorrow.
know of any how to threads on changing the gear oil?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Changing gear oil is easy...

Remove right-front wheel & then lower the jack & jackstand so the car is about level again with the wheel removed.

I never had a 1997, so it might be easy to reach the drain & fill plugs without removing the wheel. Leave it sit on it's own wheels so it's level. Imagine looking directly along the axle just for identifying the fill & drain plugs.

Look through the wheel well at the transmission; right where the axle goes into the transmission. At 6-oclock (straight down) is the drain plug. It's got a square hole in it so you use a 3/8"-drive socket extension without a socket.

But first you want to make sure you can open the fill plug. It's at 9-oclock to the axle & I think it takes a 17mm wrench. It's larger and "different" looking than all the other bolts that hold the transmission-case together.

Drain it and check the plug. I think the drain plug has a magnet, so wipe that off & hope it's not full of big chunks. The officcial procedure says use a new crush-washer, but I've re-used them. OTOH they're pretty cheap at the dealer.

Filling is easier if you get a hose to attach to the oil bottle, or a funnel with a hose. Fill directly into the fill hole until the oil is right up to the level of the hole. (That's why you want to lower the jack so the car is level.) Install the plug not too tight. Allow a bit of time for the oil to level itself out through the whole gearbox then check whether you need to add a bit more. Tighten the fill plug.

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-01-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, so i changed the gear oil. I did not clean the EGR ports YET as I am almost 100% positive that is not the reason for this vibration. After i changed the gear oil the vibration is still there. Although I noticed that the boots on the passenger side CV axle are weather checked and are actually cracked, in turn, splattering grease upon surrounding surfaces.
My first question, do i just need new boots?
second, should i just replace the whole CV shaft and skip the hassle of putting new boots on as this may be an indicator the CV is bad?
Lastly, Could this be the reason for this vibration?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

CV joint can cause the vibration.

If the boot is already torn, I like to recommend replacing the joint or axle because I can't really prove HOW LONG it's been torn. A little bit of dirt inside the joint will damage it pretty quickly.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

alright, looks like I will be replacing that today.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 AM

could also be the internal bearing guides for the 2nd gear spindle in the trans

Quick Reply: Vibrations............