Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Vibrations after Replacing Front Mount - Replace All Mounts? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/vibrations-after-replacing-front-mount-replace-all-mounts-59149/)

slickgeek 09-28-2014 07:38 AM

How long did it take you to take the intake manifold off and how hard was it? Also did you use hand tools or have an air compressor with air tools?

jkowtko 09-28-2014 09:19 AM

I didn't remove the manifold ... only the air intake filter box and hose -- the black plastic parts leading up to the throttle body.

slickgeek 09-29-2014 10:35 AM

That allows for enough access? Can you share pictures?

TexasHonda 09-29-2014 01:32 PM

Removing the air intake duct only allows a VIEW of the rear motor mount for inspection and determination of damage. It does not allow enough access for replacement.

Replacement requires working from underneath vehicle to access rear mount lower bolts and connection to transmission. Intake manifold is not removed. I would estimate 3-5 hrs of steady work by DIY'r.

Check youtube for videos. I remember a good one, but I looked and could not locate.

Following may be slightly helpful.

good luck

jkowtko 09-29-2014 08:15 PM

That's the video I found as well .. covers it well .. and makes it look like a 30 minute job!

TexasHonda 09-30-2014 07:53 AM

You will find that space underneath is adequate to remove the mount, but it is awkward and tedious work laying on your back. Most of the time is consumed w/ the underneath work.

I also found the vacuum line to the mount would not release; difficult to reach and stuck, so I had to cut flush to remove the mount. The flush nipple on the mount is fragile also!

good luck

jkowtko 09-30-2014 08:49 AM

One question -- do the front and rear mounts actually support and of the the weight of the engine, or are they just torsional dampers?

When I replaced the front mount I didn't really have to support the engine ... I did push up on the engine maybe 1/8" just to make it easier to slide the main mount bolt in place, but that really wasn't necessary.

I'm thinking the rear is the same -- some small amount of weight on the mount, on the order of 1/8" compression, but otherwise not holding up the engine. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks. John

TexasHonda 09-30-2014 08:57 AM

Agree there is little/no weight on rear mount.

good luck

slickgeek 10-03-2014 05:12 PM

That channel got terminated and they must have just re-uploaded all their old videos on a new one.

From the video it looks like he has the car high and on 4 jackstands.

TexasHonda 10-03-2014 06:46 PM

You may need to lift engine slightly to align mount w/ engine bracket. I remember using jack on mine in this fashion.

good luck