General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS speedometer cruise control issue. Works sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Default VSS speedometer cruise control issue. Works sometimes

For the longest time my speedometer has not been working but cruise control always works even after the speedometer went out and now my speedometer will jump to 20 when I the key on and sometimes it will drop and work after a few seconds or stay at 20 and won't work. It has been working more often lately but now my cruise control won't work. When I turn the cruise control on and set it everything lights up but when I take my foot off the pedal it doesn't do anything. Supposedly the cruise control issue is caused by a failty VSS and the speedometer is a bad cluster.

Any ideas on what needs to be replaced,cleaned,inspected,repaired?

The car is a 97 Honda accord 4cyl 2.2L automatic

Old 04-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes - the vss and the cluster.

There are how to's on both of the issues, just use the search feature at the top of the forum.

While the cluster can be fixed, often much easier to just get a replacement one at the junkyard.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with replacing/repairing the speedometer. If you know how to solder, you may be able to repair the speedometer and keep your original mileage.

Before you replace the VSS, is the check engine light turning on while driving, or the D4 light flashing when driving? If so, see the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to checking engine codes. Check for codes anyway. Other items can cause the cruise control not to work.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM

I saw numerous cases of the VSS being the culprit even without a check engine light. I replaced it yesterday and it's doing the same exact thing. The speedometer works sometimes but I'm really more concerned about the cruise control which worked even when the speedometer wasn't working to not working at all at any time. I like to have my cruise control for long drives. So the VSS can be ruled out.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM

*BUMP* any ideas here? I'm assuming it's an electrical issue and electrical troubleshooting is my weak point.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM

I thought we suggested a new cluster first?

Let me look for a sec....

ah yes I said this "While the cluster can be fixed, often much easier to just get a replacement one at the junkyard."

and PAHONDA said this "I agree with replacing/repairing the speedometer. If you know how to solder, you may be able to repair the speedometer and keep your original mileage."

Did you read what we posted?

You need to go to a junk yard or ebay and get a replacement cluster.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 PM

The cluster should have no affect on my cruise control. I stated clearly that I'm more concerned with the cruise control. I understand the cluster idea. I can have it resoldered when I have the time. But speedometer and cluster aside I would like to have my cruise control back for some upcoming long drives. The cluster only indicates that cruise control is on so it shouldn't solve the cruise control issue. The brake switch works and the light comes On when I set it but it does not do anything other than indicate that it is on.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:02 PM

So you do not mind driving without knowing how fast you are going as long as you have cruise control?

No I guess we cannot help you, sorry...

Old 04-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Before you replace the VSS, is the check engine light turning on while driving, or the D4 light flashing when driving? If so, see the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to checking engine codes. Check for codes anyway. Other items can cause the cruise control not to work.
Please answer my question from my first post.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM

nope, i have a gps for when i have to watch my speed otherwise i follow others or go by the feeling.

Since nobody was able to offer any insight on the cruise control issue i have i feel it is only fair to share my findings so others who stumble upon this page hoping for an answer to there cruise control problem can hopefully find it.

I found that in other vehicles people have reported crusie control issues and a common cause has been a vacumm line issue. i followed the diagram for the vacumm system and as i followed the vacumn line from the cruise control canister on the passenger side to the center of the engine compartment the line attached to a rigidly attached roghly 1 foot long metal tube and i found there was no line on the other side of the tube which is suppose to hook up to the vacumn system. after a short search i found the hose by following the diagram in the opposite direction and it had simply popped off the metal tube.

Simple fix. no tools required. and best of all.. no expenses!

I attached the portion of the vacumm system diagram which the cruise control could be affected.

Quick Reply: VSS speedometer cruise control issue. Works sometimes