General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Want to upgrade brakes on my 2013 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Default Want to upgrade brakes on my 2013 Accord LX

Hello Everyone:
I am Hondaman61, and I'd like to ask those of you out there what brakes you might recommend. My Accord has 85k to it, and I didn't have to turn the rotors nor replace the disk pads up front until 77k. I am pleased with that, but I'd like to improve the braking power of the car.
I currently have to replace the rear brake pads, and I was thinking EBC yellows. I do not race the car, and I don't punish the brakes, but I still feel as though there are times that I had more braking power. I make reference to those times when you have precious little time to step on the brakes. I feel as though the ABS is kicking in, as I can some violent reaction from the front.
I have read that ceramic brakes tend to wear out the rotors quicker. I am in a dilemma. Do I upgrade the brakes (what do you suggest I upgrade to?) or just keep the standard OEM equipment. Also, I would like to spend a moderate amount of money. I have heard that BREMBO aftermarket rotors are very good.
I would appreciate any advice that I could get from you forum members.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:13 PM
Default What did you decide?

Didn’t see any further posts listing recommendations.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by carjones
Didn’t see any further posts listing recommendations.
What are your goals?

The fact is, this type of question really will never get much traction. Why? Unless you want to spend a couple grand or more retrofitting your car for a big brake kit, along with all new wheels and tires, you really aren't going to be able to make much of a change in braking.

Think about it this way, you drive a nose heavy FWD car, and the harder you press the brake pedal (while the car is still moving), the greater the weight transfer from rear to front. Under extreme braking, the rear brakes are next to useless while up front you are limited by the amount of grip of your tires; if you can lock them up, then the biggest brakes in the world aren't going to improve your stopping distances.

So, within the realm of reasonable, you can go with greater initial pad bite which in turn means typically a softer and dustier pad, or you can go with a longer lasting low-dust pad but need to deal with a slight drop in initial bite, especially when the rotors are cold.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
What are your goals?

The fact is, this type of question really will never get much traction. Why? Unless you want to spend a couple grand or more retrofitting your car for a big brake kit, along with all new wheels and tires, you really aren't going to be able to make much of a change in braking.

Think about it this way, you drive a nose heavy FWD car, and the harder you press the brake pedal (while the car is still moving), the greater the weight transfer from rear to front. Under extreme braking, the rear brakes are next to useless while up front you are limited by the amount of grip of your tires; if you can lock them up, then the biggest brakes in the world aren't going to improve your stopping distances.

So, within the realm of reasonable, you can go with greater initial pad bite which in turn means typically a softer and dustier pad, or you can go with a longer lasting low-dust pad but need to deal with a slight drop in initial bite, especially when the rotors are cold.
Thanks Shipo for your reply and advice re: brake pads.
I certainly don’t want to spend 2k on an entire brake kit. I would like to know if there is a particular brand or type of rotor, pad, or flex brake line that may preform better than OEM. Perhaps improving braking over stock without going crazy with cost.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I had a setup that was a lot better with braking years ago on my 07. It was too good so I replaced with another set once it was time. It was the Akebonos performance pads (i don't think they make them anymore for certain Honda's) with drill and slotted rotors. The Pro-act ultras are great also. Just be warned if you go that route they are real grabby. Also make sure you are changing your brake fluid out regularly and cleaning the caliper parts. It makes a difference.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:15 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
I had a setup that was a lot better with braking years ago on my 07. It was too good so I replaced with another set once it was time. It was the Akebonos performance pads (i don't think they make them anymore for certain Honda's) with drill and slotted rotors. The Pro-act ultras are great also. Just be warned if you go that route they are real grabby. Also make sure you are changing your brake fluid out regularly and cleaning the caliper parts. It makes a difference.
Thanks Seanjordan20, that’s just the type of information I was looking for. I’ve replaced the front rotors and pads (and flushed the fluid) on my 2013 some time ago and have never been happy with the performance. Now my rear rotors are warped (kinda surprised they lasted so long, 66k miles), so I figured I’d ask around before pulling the trigger.