General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warm engine wont restart

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:24 PM
tdan04
Unregistered
Default warm engine wont restart

Hi i have a 1992 honda accord ex when the engine warms up when i am driving not overheating but normal then i shut it down like to get gas when i got to restart it it wont until i wait 10 min could it be a relay i really have no idea thanks to any suggestions.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: warm engine wont restart

When you try to restart, what happens? Does the starter turn the engine, but not fire up?

Give us some more details on what happens.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 PM
tdan04
Unregistered

yes the engine just turns but will not fire.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

No-starts are due to lack of fuel or spark.

A quick check for fuel: When you turn the key to the II position (when the check engine light comes on and you hear the relay clicks), listen for the fuel pump to kick on for two seconds. It is a faint whrilling/buzz sound that comes from the trunk, so listen carefully. You might have to listen at the gas cap and have someone else turn the key to the II position. You should become familiar with the sound of the fuel pump kicking on, because it is a quick diagnostic test for the main fuel relay.

For spark: If you have an old spark plug laying around, pull one of the spark plug wires from a plug, and plug in spare spark plug. Ground the threads of the plug to the engine block (you can buy a spark tester at any autoparts that will have a clip to ground it to the engine). Have someone try to start the car. You should see a bright blue/white spark.

If you are unsure, go to the FAQ in the tegger.com. Look at the starting/running problems.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 PM
crazyernie
Unregistered

I have a very similiar problem with no engine turn over if you have any advice. It's a '91 Accord Ex and it just clicks on hot days,except the first start of the day. Often, repeatedly turning the key will somehow cause it to turn over, but sometimes even that doesn't help. The battery connections are good(I've checked many times). Starter seems alright. There is an ignition cable that I've replaced between the steering column and fuse box that helped temporarily, but I haven't nailed this one yet. Frustrating

Old 08-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Am trying to find threads on this topic but I cant search stll!
I know I read a post once a while ago about this problem being tied to A/C useage.

Anyway, I am experienceing the same problem. The car was running fine and would start up every time when cold. Suddenly and occasionally it wouldn't start when warm, then after waiting for a ferw minutes it would start and run fine.
It seems to only happen when warm and when running the A/C
I stopped using the A/C and had no problems at all warm or cold.
Its been really hot the past few days and so I have been running the A/C again. Tonight after work even when cold it took me 40 mins to get it running. Checked all connections, everything fine. I had the A/C button on still, so turned it off. As I said it took 40 mins before it started up.
It feels/looks like a vapor lock of some kind and its not getting fuel. It turns over strong, but no hint of it starting. Then suddenly its fine.
I had the A/C turned off and when I got home I turned it off and it started back up just fine.
I don't think its a fuel pump problem but I will listen for the pump kicking in.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: crazyernie

I have a very similiar problem with no engine turn over if you have any advice. It's a '91 Accord Ex and it just clicks on hot days,except the first start of the day. Often, repeatedly turning the key will somehow cause it to turn over, but sometimes even that doesn't help. The battery connections are good(I've checked many times). Starter seems alright. There is an ignition cable that I've replaced between the steering column and fuse box that helped temporarily, but I haven't nailed this one yet. Frustrating
Get the battery and alternator tested ..... it's usually free.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: tdan04

Hi i have a 1992 honda accord ex when the engine warms up when i am driving not overheating but normal then i shut it down like to get gas when i got to restart it it wont until i wait 10 min could it be a relay i really have no idea thanks to any suggestions.
I'd be taking a guess, but I think the likely culprit here is going to be a dying fuel pump. MFR is possible, but I'm thinking that the pump is having trouble getting the pressure up on the restart. MFR is usually related to a hot cabin.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Trickster...
Make sure to listen for fuel pump when cabin is really hot. Thats the situation where a bad main fuel relay will cause a problem. Often you sit for 10 minutes *WITH THE WINDOWS OPEN* then it works. Its not the 10 minutes, its the hot interior...

A bad main relay will click, but wont supply power to the fuel pump. Test by checking for power on the fuelpump wires. Or if you have electrical skills, try remelting the cracked solder joints on the circuit board inside the main relay case.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 AM

Many thanks JimBlake, will give it a go.
You are right, once I have all the windows open and it cools down its fine.
If I don't run the A/C I never seem to have any problem, however its always hot inside when I run the A/C!

ps: where is the MFR located? Will search and look in my manuals as well.

Quick Reply: warm engine wont restart