General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A warm HELLO to HAF, from Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Post A warm HELLO to HAF, from Ohio

What a great website - a big thank you in advance to the owner(s), mod(s), and members!

The wife's 2007 Accord EX-L V6 is in the garage - best Honda Accord we've owned to date, that's the GOOD news. The NOT SO GOOD news: it's parked in the garage to keep it out of the rain, since the floorboards recently FLOODED and I'm not yet sure as to why. My wife noticed strange sounds (whirring and sloshing?) coming from the passenger side front, under the dash and it sounds like on the interior side of the firewall(?). It appears it could be an A/C drain issue, a sunroof drain channel issue, or both. I'll know soon enough as I dig into it; I'm looking around in the forums for a schematic for those items. (if anyone could speed up my search with a hyperlink or point me to one, that would be SO appreciated)...

Over the years, we've owned a number of other Accords as well: 1984/1985 LX hatchbacks (light/dark blue, MT), 1985 LX sedan (maroon, AT), 1988 LX sedan (gold, AT), 1989 Coupe (EX, Seattle Silver, MT), and we currently have a (wrecked) 1998 EX-L V6 (Black/Gray) in the yard, which we're soliciting interest in parting out - feel free to PM us with advice or questions of interest.

Cheers! Chris n JD

Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 AM
... OH, the VIN for the 1998 Accord EX-L V6: 1HGCG1651WA070984.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF

You questions will be best served/answered in the General Tech area.

One thing to add to your post over there.......did you notice this water after a rain storm?

Anyway, hope to see you around.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Administrator
Talking

Hello Member..Welcome.
I shall move this to where your now reading it..Right Here..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 08-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Post 2007 Accord EX-L V6: water in the floorboards after a sloshing sound was heard ...

Thanks Poorman212 and WheelBrokerAng.

Update: hot and dry this week so the car's been outside, windows down, to dry/air out - the floorboard/carpet is dry to the touch, even if poked and pressed hard. It was hot and extremely humid today, it rained lightly for a brief period of time with the car outside, but zero water in any floorboard and zero evidence of a leak in the passenger compartment.

I put the car in the garage and idled it for ~15 minutes with the A/C temp and fan speed maxed, shut it off, and lifted the car behind RF wheel. I could clearly see water dripping from the dedicated A/C drain tube that pokes through the floorpan. The problem: I dropped the car HOURS ago and water is still dripping from the A/C drain tube at (it appears) the same rate. That would seem to indicate condensate is backed up somewhere, which may have been the cause of the sloshing sound?

I visually checked both sides of the firewall with a flashlight for missing or misaligned seals, popped off the plastic cover from under the passenger side dash, no evidence of water leaks or wetness anywhere. Is there a condensate collection device or container somewhere out of view that could be plugged? Any other ideas on what I could check or do?

Originally Posted by CJRERuss
...the floorboards recently FLOODED and I'm not yet sure as to why. My wife noticed strange sounds (whirring and sloshing?) coming from the passenger side front, under the dash and it sounds like on the interior side of the firewall(?). It appears it could be an A/C drain issue, a sunroof drain channel issue, or both.

I'll know soon enough as I dig into it; I'm looking around in the forums for a schematic for those items. (if anyone could speed up my search with a hyperlink or point me to one, that would be SO appreciated)...

Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

didn't find any service bulletins on the issue. riddle me this batman, does your wife take the accord through the car wash at the gas station or other places? i remember seeing somewhere if the cars a/c unit is on fresh (outside air) and it goes through a car wash that water intrusion may be the result...again, not sure if it's your year model or even a honda for that matter, but ask her about it...worth a shot

Old 08-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Got a shop vac? If so, use that on the tube under the car where the water it dripping from....sounding like a clogged ac drain tube.

Also, do yourself a favor and change the cabin air filter.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I like the idea of shop vacuuming the A/C drain tube, gonna try that and see what happens. Also, I pulled the cabin filter and it's very dirty (after ~48,000 miles, I would be too), so I'll add one to my parts order. The wife does take her Accord through the car wash on occasion, and it's likely that the recirculation is off - never been a problem 'til now, so it's probably not a factor. She gave me another piece of information: the water got in the cabin after a heavy rain, while I was out of town.

I fished weed eater line down the left and right sunroof drain tubes (toward the front of the car - not sure if there are drain tubes toward the rear of the car); I couldn't fish any more down the tubes at some point, they bottomed out on something - never saw the line pop out through the undercarriage, so I need to research it further. I'll do some testing by pouring water down the sunroof cavity/drain tubes.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Should be four drains. There is a "valve" at the end, more of a rubber flap.

The rear drains, on a limb here.....you might be able the see the end under the car - behind the bumper cover, there should be a "tube" coming out of the body.

Attached Thumbnails A warm HELLO to HAF, from Ohio-06-rear-moonroof-drain.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:14 PM

AHHHHHH, another clue to the mystery - KUDOS poorman212, thank you!

Off-topic a bit: are you active duty? deployed? Regardless, thank you for your service.

Quick Reply: A warm HELLO to HAF, from Ohio